Ampeg VL series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg VL series

I was wondering if any of you have tried the ampeg VL series of amps. I found a few for pretty cheap and was wondering if they sounded any good at all. I love my 5150 combo, but would like something thats a little easier to haul around (damn things a brick). If you have tried it, keep in mind that my usual tone preference is a mid-rangey high gain sound with a nice chunky low end. If you have any info on these, please share.

Thanks guys

Re: Ampeg VL series

You mean the VL 100 Ampeg Lee Jackson heads..with light up logos..

Yes, I bought two of them when they first came out in '91 or so ..One loaded with El34s and one with 6550s..The 6550s makes them MUCH better when they are sitting there tweaked to the T..in a A/B compariron..IMO..6550 are tighter with better low end response which that particular amp lacks somewhat.

They have a very nice , sweet lead tone ..Zakk Wylde endoresed them for about a week.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The cabs are nice..basically Marshall 1960s really loaded with the same speakers..Celestion 75's or for a hundred bucks more at that time Vintage 30's..it was right then and there I immediately discovered I prefered the 75s over the 30's..and still do.

There is a power attenuater on those heads and a built-in 5 position mid voice sweep..that works well...the gain is smooth and usable..they are very Midrangy in tone for the most partt..especially w EL34s...somewhat Lany-ish in lead tones....The rythm tone was somewhat chunky..more 80's metal chunky..nothing more than a Marshall really..nothig like a 5150s Girth at that time..I had a 5150 sitting right next to them...and a Marshall 2210...and a Soldano HR100..I used to play them all togerher via a special splitter I had made for me.

One of mine actually caught on fire...so beware of that..I never had an anp actaully go up in flames before..that was amusing..
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

One of mine actually caught on fire...so beware of that..I never had an anp actaully go up in flames before..that was amusing..

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

That was a good laugh. So with the 6550's they are decent then? You ever try your BBE with it? Also, does it even have an effects loop for one?

Yeah....I found both the 50watt and the 100watt versions for almost the same price. So is there any difference with them besides the power section?

Thanks bunches.

Comment

It didn't like the BBE 422...The one with The El34 caught fire...an actual fire.,..I saved in in a hurry..but it melted the back of it and all the tolex that was tucked and stapled on the inside..made my room smell like burnt electronics for about a month tho..which smelled prett cool to be honest.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I immediately sold that one and kept my other one for a couple more years..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

100 watters are much ballsier and fuller with more headroom and bottom end than the 50s by far..yes 6550s sound better...I didn't care for the 50 wt version.

Comment

Cool. Gonna think about getting the 100watter then. Thanks for the info dude.

Comment

Working...
            X