HD 147....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD 147....

What do you guys think of the HD 147?....I have a chance to get one reasonable and want to know what you guys think.... Thanks Rev.............
    Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Re: HD 147....

The one I tried was very heavy sounding and very loud. Its a great modeler for metal.

Comment

I think it's shit. It's good if you just wanna fool around, but the dist. sounds sooo lifeless and dull, it's just crap. It's also waaay too overpriced for that thing. If you want something similar to that to just play on, I'd recommend the Flextone II's or III's, it's basically the same thing.

Comment

It looks cool, but it seems to me that if you're going to get an HD147 and presumably at least a shortboard for switching settings, a cheaper and more flexible rig would be a Pod XT Live with the Metal Pack and a power amp.

I like the idea of keeping your preamp and power amp separate, so you can mix and match components.

I've tried the following combos with my Pod XT Live:

Klipsch computer speakers (sounds great for practice)
        Marshall Valvestate power amp (solid state power amp)/1960A 4x12 (sounds dull & uninspiring)
        JBL Eon G2 powered speaker (sounds very good, but perhaps a bit clinical)
        Marshall 3203 Artist (tube power amp)/1960A 4x12 (sounds freakin' great) [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

It's nice to be able to mix and match, and you'd lose that with the HD147.

Comment

I liked it alot ..IN THE STORE..

wish I could bring it home just to crank it ONCE over some drums at least...just to see if it retains coolness at very high volume levels..since its SS.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Well I have to say these modeling amps fair far better than a regular SS amp. Steve brought his 100 watt XXL to our jam a few weeks ago with out new drummer and it sounded like a marble grinder when he turned it up to drummer levels...

So last jam he brings his new 60 watt a side stereo V-Ampire. Which is a V-Amp 2 in a head. I thought it was going to be even worse to tell the truth but, it sounded great at the same levels...Same room and everything...It just blew the XXL out of the water. And it was dead quiet too...I don't know how much more he could have pushed it be it wasn’t anywhere near harsh yet.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

I don't know, the first time I played it, it sounded pretty decent when I tried it w/ a Les Paul and w/ the matching cab. Then I tried it w/ a XXX cab and an ESP, and it was seriously the weakest sounding dist. ever. It had no sustain, very dull sound, and the harmonics sounded like crap. The worst thing is that it costs like 1000 bucks, which is waaay too much for that thing IMO.

Comment

You need to run them through a cab loaded with full range speakers. This is when I have noticed modeling amps working the best.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

hmmmm...interesting shit here keep going!! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

I have been interested in this amp since its debut..

I Must say I do "Enjoy" playing my son's 30 watt Syder II...damm things sounds good...hell it makes me sound good...hell for a whole 200 dollars [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

The Uber mode of the HD 147 did capture the essence of my Uber pretty decently ..at a moderartely low level..I must say!!!

My only quirk.."doubt" ..is I used to be a be Randall RG 80 nut ..hell back 15 years ago...they sounded great to me..until I had to really push them (had 5)...and then they just fell on its face..and totaly obnoxious sounding.. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I play LOUD..so that's my ONLY concern..Speakers and cabs make a huge diffence with any amp..

Hmmmm..Maybe I'll shove a BBE 422 in the loop ...that's my remedy for evetything!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Even when the wife gets outta line I'll shove one up her loop too..fatten that big ol' bottom too...boom boom..bang! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    You need to run them through a cab loaded with full range speakers. This is when I have noticed modeling amps working the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1, either that or take off the cabinet modeling. Also modeling amps sound great when they are played with other modeling amps, however when put up with a real tube amp it just cant keep up, just does not have the volume. As to cutting through, that all depends on the sound guy if you are being mic'd.

Comment

Agreed. Cabinet and speaker selection are critical. Also, the HD147 pushes alot of air like a real amp and it its easy to set up because its not complicated at all.
                      You can't compare it to a tube amp. Its not a tube amp. Its a modeler. If you need a Soldano, a Fender Twin, an Ubershall and a JCM800 to get the sounds you are after the HD147 is a good choice. They are pretty expensive though and you could probably get a Vetta 1 for around the same amount of money.

Comment

Every once in a while guitar center sells the HD147 for crazy prices... We're talking like $450 or something like that.

Comment

I keep going and playing these things, dipping my toe in the water so to speak. Someday I need to just dive in and see for myself what the deal is, and if it works for me or not. Just like John and Sam are doing.

Comment

I have owned the HD147, and to tell you the truth i much prefer the flextone II heads, and you can get them alot cheaper.

Comment

The Vetta sounds better the louder it gets, and the HD147 is like a Vetta-lite. I'd bet it sounds fine cranked up.

To Orchid - sounds like user error, not a problem with the amp.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X