10 band vs 6 or 7 band EQ's...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 band vs 6 or 7 band EQ's...

I'm considering an MXR Kerry King EQ pedal. It's 10 bands of EQ. However, there are other EQ pedals (Like the cheap-o Behringer) that are 6 or 7 bands. Do the extra bands of EQ help that much? I'm just looking for good, heavy sounds.

Re: 10 band vs 6 or 7 band EQ\'s...

Rule of thumb... when the quality of the EQ is = the more bands the better.

Comment

I have the MXR M-108 10 band eq. The only difference between that and the KFK EQ is that the KFK has 1 additional output and the different paintjob. That's straight from a Dunlop guy at NAMM.

It's a great EQ. Very well built. Lots of versatility. If you run it in your loop, DO NOT use the GAIN slider. Keep it dead center or your amp will howl like a motherfucker. In a bad way.

Comment

As basically mentioned already, once you get past the concept of the actual overall sound quality of the EQ itself, more bands will "obviously" give you much more exacting control over the frequencies you can manipulate.

IMO, buy a parametric if you "really" want control of tone sculpting, haha...

Comment

How bout the 30 dollar fish and chips?

Comment

Been using BOSS GE-7 for years

Back in the 80s I used a BOSS 12 Band EQ
            it kicked but too

Comment

I do have to say, that I took a 31 band EQ once and played with it for a week or so, and documented what frequency ranges seemed to be most needed for my needs, and found out that the Rockman EQ nailed the oddball ranges that I felt I wanted to manipulate. Other units weren't quite where I wanted them.

Tom Schultz was certainly on to a few things in his time I have to admit.

Comment

thanks for the tips.. will probably go with a 10 instead of a 7.

Comment

I have the Dano Fish and Chips because I got it for like 20 bucks.. it suits my needs but I have contemplated switching to the MXR 10 band one (not the Kerry King model though)

Comment

Working...
                  X