uh oh....just bought a 5150 ! ! !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: uh oh....just bought a 5150 ! ! !

dude dont put a pedal..in front of a 5150 ... the main thing your gonna be adding if you do..is an assload of freadback

Comment

i'm gonna try it out once i got it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        dude dont put a pedal..in front of a 5150 ... the main thing your gonna be adding if you do..is an assload of freadback

[/ QUOTE ]
        And a ton of noise. If you insist, you will absolutely need a noise gate. Throw a BBE 422 in the loop if you are looking for punishing death metal tone. I used my BBE for one rehearsal. After around 5 songs they made me take it out of the loop. It didn't mix well with the other guitarists stock block letter 5150. Way too aggressive sounding for them.

Comment

You can use a boost in front of the rythym channel with crunch mode enabled without a problem. I've done it on my Ultra (with my old MXR Zakk Wylde OD pedal) and on the 5150. I only had an SD1 to try out on the 5150 so far, but I'm going to get my hands on a Maxon OD808 to try too. Crunch button engaged, gain set somewhere in the middle on the channel, gain off on the pedal, volume up, tone to taste.

I also bought a 422 off ebay, and through it in the loop of my 5150. And honestly, I wasn't impressed with it. I'm very much a fan of the stock tone for rythym. The 422 I had made my 5150 pretty damn buzzy. I'm going to give it another go though before ripping it out of the rack though.

The settings I've been using:
          Rythym Gain - 4
          Lead Gain - 5
          Low - 4.5
          Mid - 8
          High - 7
          Resonance - 4.5
          Presence - 5
          Rythym Volume - 3.5
          Lead Volume - 3.5

This gave me a very middy, but crunchy tone...with enough bottom end to fill out the sound and still give palm mutes a good thump. I use a GFlex 2x12 for now too with it. A lot of people scoop the mids, but I really like them cranked.

Comment

mmh....as i said, i already played on show using a 5150, let me see if i can recall the settings...probably something like this

lead gain 5,5
            bass 6
            mid 6
            treble 4-5
            resonance 7
            presence 0
            post gain 4

through one marshall 1960B cab.

this was quite a nice tone, very tight, almost stiff in character, with a good bottom chunk. in retroperspect (is that a word? lol) i should have lowered the mids a tad while adding some treble.
            that sound was the reason why i got a 5150 instead of the jsx i was watching, or a dual recto (my bandmates said a dual KILLS for studio work, but tends to get lost in a live situation due to the other dude's marshall) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] on top of that, our soundguy said he LOVED the tone (even more than my 2210 which sounds AWESOME live and loud), AND i've had more people come up to me after the show complementing me on my sound than ever before.
            how cool is that? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              in retroperspect (is that a word? lol) i should have lowered the mids a tad while adding some treble.
              that sound was the reason why i got a 5150 instead of the jsx i was watching, or a dual recto (my bandmates said a dual KILLS for studio work, but tends to get lost in a live situation due to the other dude's marshall) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] on top of that, our soundguy said he LOVED the tone (even more than my 2210 which sounds AWESOME live and loud), AND i've had more people come up to me after the show complementing me on my sound than ever before.
              how cool is that? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Retrospect is a word, [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And yes, the 5150 I've found gets quite a bit of praise from soundmen as being an "easy to mic" amp.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

You're running one of those G-Flex cabs right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, Rivera 4x12 with V30's on top and C90's on the bottom.

Will you people just shut the hell up already about amps having too much gain? It's not a gain factor, it's a tone factor. Putting an OD infront of your amp set to a slight boost will put a nice, smooth coating over the distortion. it allows you to lower the preamp gain, as well. The combination of the TS's mid boost and slight bass cut as well as the reduced gain and kicking the preamp in the ass equals less noise, a cleaner, clearer, punchier tone, and more clarity.

If you name most of your favorite extreme metal albums, the tones will boil down to a 5150, Recto, or Marshall with EMG's and a Tubescreamer.

Comment

I set mine up like this...

Crunch/Bright switches engaged
                  Rhythm gain - 7
                  Lead gain - 3.5
                  Bass - 6.5
                  Mids - 3.5 - 4
                  Highs - 6.5
                  Presence - 7
                  Resonance - 8

On my OD I have gain at 9 o clock, tone at 10:30, and level at high noon.

Comment

Working...
                  X