Amp/speakers for show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp/speakers for show

Hey guys I need some advice. I'm scheduled to play a show with some friends in a 1200 seat auditorium and I need to figure out what kind of amp/cab I need to play something that big. All I have right now is my 20w Soldano Astroverb 1x12. Do you guys think getting a 4x12 for that amp would be enough, or do I need to step up to 50 or 100w?

I am not in a band so whatever I get will be returned shortly after and probably shouldn't cost more than $600 or so.

Re: Amp/speakers for show

is this going to be a mic'ed or an unmic'ed show? if you'll be mic'ed up IMHO the 112 will be sufficient. without the PA there should be one, better two 412 cabs on stage.
    regarding the wattage: i'd not worry about that. 20w all tube is plenty for most gigs. it's more about the cabs rather than the wattage. of course a 100w all tube amp has more punch than a smaller one, but frankly i don't see a reason for buying a high power head for only one show.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Hey guys I need some advice. I'm scheduled to play a show with some friends in a 1200 seat auditorium and I need to figure out what kind of amp/cab I need to play something that big. All I have right now is my 20w Soldano Astroverb 1x12. Do you guys think getting a 4x12 for that amp would be enough, or do I need to step up to 50 or 100w?

I am not in a band so whatever I get will be returned shortly after and probably shouldn't cost more than $600 or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there going to be a PA system? If they have a PA just mic up your cab and you will be fine, if not then i would get a 4x12 and a power amp and slave it off your head.

Comment

If they're going to mic you (and I can't imagine they won't), you'll be fine. I just played a 1,000-seat place with a 15-watt tube head through a 212. They mic'd it and it sounded unbelievable!

Comment

If you have a good PA and monitor system and your Astroverb is mic'd you will be fine. The monitors are for you to hear and the PA is for the crowd. The better the both systems are the less you have to rely on your Astroverb.

Comment

Looks like I need to get in touch with the people running this and find out exactly what we will have. I forgot to take into account PA stuff

Comment

Working...
            X