Another wattage/ohm question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another wattage/ohm question

I use 2 cabs and run them Right & Left from my VHT 2902. I always match impedance @ 16 a side and run my amp at about 12 o'clock live. It seems the amp starts getting milked better at 1 o'clock but sometimes that's too loud for the bar. I'm guessing the sweet spot is between 1 o'clock and ? I haven't pushed the cabs that far for fear of making confetti. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'm thinking if I change the amp settings to 8 ohms, running through 16 ohm cabs, I will push the KT88's at 12 o'clock. Who here has KT-88 experience? BTW, off the top of my head I can't think of any amp maker other than VHT who uses KT-88's stock. Why is that?

Re: Another wattage/ohm question

[ QUOTE ]
    Who here has KT-88 experience? BTW, off the top of my head I can't think of any amp maker other than VHT who uses KT-88's stock. Why is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I use them exclusively. Fav tube etc... VHT 2150 user and all that stuff.

They are a somewhat more expensive tube, they run best at higher voltages (around 700 Volts in my VHT) and the supporting transformers and (some) semiconductors are a bit more heavy duty-ish (re: more expensive), they are more likely to be more used by higher end amps like VHT.

I prefer to match impedances myself. Although you can do what you are saying (8ohm out into 16ohm speakers) I just don't.

Comment

I bought the amp because I knew it was high-end and high wattage. You hear about guys pushing 6L6's and El34's but I hardly hear anyone talk about pushing a VHT and 88's for tone.

Comment

Well, the KT88's do have a terrific growl when they start to break up. But, you would probably kill any small animals near the amp... hehe...

Although I do like the sound of "that" tube distorting more than any other, I really bought my VHT2150 because I wanted the tube oriented sound WITHOUT the power tubes breaking up on me. Basically just wanted to reproduce my preamp sound without coloring it much with power tube distortion.

Comment

Yes, I agree these amps are made to be loud and clean. I didn't know if anyone experimented with distorting the 88's. I find it hard to do without drowning out the band or killing my cabs.

Comment

Working...
          X