Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Diezel\'s *can* sound like ass too!

[ QUOTE ]
    Weezer was on Leno tonight and their guitar players were using VH4's. They sounded like crap (my apologies to crap everywhere). The good thing about the guitar tone is that it as bad as it was, it was still better than the song.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hung out at Tone Merchants for about two hours this last summer in the jam room with three different Diezels, a Bogner 101b, a pair of Engls and a Roccaforte HG100....

* The Bogner was killer as usual.
    * The Roccaforte was maybe the rawest, best sounding in the room. Tons of fun to play that.
    * The Engle Powerball was fun for about 5 minutes, the pre amp into a VHT power amp was better...
    * The Diezels were lost on me....sounded like crap no matter what I did. Just. didn't. Get. It.

Now just for comparison, and I'm sure Chuck will chime in, I've owned a stoooopid number of incredible amps in the last couple of years, and there's nothing in the cast off pile that I would've traded for a Diezel, including my really lame Mesa Nomad....well, o.k., the Nomad would be a good trade but I would still feel bad [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyway, they didn't do it for me.

Steve E

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Definitely user error.

There are some people that can't dial in a good tone to save their life. So it seems like those fruits in Weezer would fit in this category.

Honestly, when I think of good tone, Weezer doesn't immediately jump to mind. However when I think of fruity emo bands with goofy haircuts and thick-rimmed glasses that sing sappy sad songs about how their fat girlfriend left them for another woman, I think of Weezer.
      [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

BTW Gavin Rossdale and his new band Institue was on Leno a few nights back and he sounded fine thru his Diezel VH4... so go figure. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
      I mean, I agree, I don't like Weezer's tone, but not every band's gonna have the tone you like. For example, if you were listening to some punk band, chances are, they're not gonna be having some rippin', screaming, heavy ass tone like Dimebag or something. Every genre has it's own type of tone.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Definitely user error.

There are some people that can't dial in a good tone to save their life. So it seems like those fruits in Weezer would fit in this category.

Honestly, when I think of good tone, Weezer doesn't immediately jump to mind. However when I think of fruity emo bands with goofy haircuts and thick-rimmed glasses that sing sappy sad songs about how their fat girlfriend left them for another woman, I think of Weezer.

BTW Gavin Rossdale and his new band Institue was on Leno a few nights back and he sounded fine thru his Diezel VH4... so go figure. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You own a diezel or two, right? Why don't you record a clip for us - show us what they can do.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Definitely user error.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weezer are most definitely NOT emo!
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

yup, emo is even worse than Weezer
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

How can you tell?
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

hippie it kinda depends on the person, weezer is technically emo/indie rock. I am a fan of both styles but tend to lean more towards Indie Rock. There really is no way to truley tell and the line is so thin it can go either way.

I am kinda tired of putting lables on music and basically lump it into a these catagories, they are metal, rock, punk and pop and classic and oldies. If you ask me weezer falls under the rock catagory.

I really hate the EMO lable, about 95% of music is emotional which in case you dont know is what EMO stands for, when you think about it most metal these days could be considered emotional, there emotion is anger. The irony is most metal music is emotional over the same thing that emo guys are emotional over, the only difference is metal singers scream about it and express it that way, were emo guys or just more upset and whine about it.

Comment

I don't really like all those categories but I have a lot of friends who name bands with different style names, to me it seems that Indie rock is some cheesy old-school (60's) infulensed pop/soft/rock where not very good guitar players use hollow-bodys or teles and hit Maj7 chords most of the time. Emo is kinda similar I think but there is more whining. And emo in metal is really cheesy, this where dudes have horrible haircuts, nails are painted to black and all the songs sound the same, It sounds like a soft version of metalcore ot what the fuck was that called.
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I heard a Diezel in person, at a decently loud volume level. I liked it. However, I DID NOT hear it in a band room. I liked what I heard, but then again, maybe it wouldn't be that good.

Comment

Well, I saw Sambora use them on USA today when Bon Jovi played on TV last fall...I thought his 'tone' was ok but very gain laden, overly so to me. These are probably very crushing amps tho.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]
                        Definitely user error.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weezer are most definitely NOT emo!

[/ QUOTE ]

Long story made short, I was at the forefront of the emo scene. I had a label that put out what was maybe considered now the first "emo" band (Not Dischord) Anyway Weezer has never ever sounded emo to me. You know they used to be a metal band right. I don't like them much they aren't bad though. They are not emo though regardless. Actually the first 2 albums and Malidriot aren't too bad.
                        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

siggy, I don't care about the labels either - I just know that every single thing I've heard by either band should be labeled "don't play me ever again".

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            siggy, I don't care about the labels either - I just know that every single thing I've heard by either band should be labeled "don't play me ever again".

[/ QUOTE ]

I cant say that, i am a weezer fan, for some reason i like the music that little freak writes, i guess if he wasnt such a freak his music wouldnt be so different. However on there new album you can tell he is starting to grow up, his music style is changing alot and on the new album there are a few songs i like, but other then that i just cant get into it. I miss the old days of pinker and the blue album. You said either, which is the other band you are talking about?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              You said either, which is the other band you are talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

I started to say something else - guess I should have proof read that sentence, eh?

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                You own a diezel or two, right? Why don't you record a clip for us - show us what they can do.

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I do. However I do not own any recording equipment, nor do I have any plans to purchase any in the near future. I prefer to spend my money on amps and axes. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Here are some clips of the Herbert recorded by others that accurately demonstrate what the amp can do [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] :

1. This is the link to the Herbert demo and it starts at 7:00:

www.marcseal.com/marcumentary/episode2.wmv

2. Here is a clip of my Herbert recorded by DerekB with a friend of his playing a PRS Custom24 thru a Bogner ÜberKab and using the 3rd channel:

http://www.musicv2.com/artist/rocksolidamps

3. Here is a clip of Richie Sambora using 2 Herbert halfstacks on the Today Show recently:

>>>Click Here<<<

I think all 3 of these examples accurately demonstrate the tone and capabilites of the Diezel Herbert.

YMMV.

Comment

Working...
                                X