THD Hotplates...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THD Hotplates...

if any one was thinking of getting one, get one!!

I got o use mine for the first time yesterday with my JCM900, the sound i got was awesome, it sounded better than the ENGL Fireball and Thunder 50 i tried out a while ago and that's saying something [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Re: THD Hotplates...

I got the red 4ohm one.

Comment

I have the 8 ohm, it's nice a purple [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      93 USA Soloist EDS
      USA HT6 Juggernaut
      Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Anyone use one on a 5150 block letter 1/2 stack? I've had one sitting in my music room for over a year.The other guitar player quit and left it there (so far). It's so loud we could never get it over 1 & 1/2.I'm sure the amp sounds much better pushed.

Comment

I have the 8 ohm and the 16 ohm.

Comment

I hate to sound stupid about this (but I am so here goes) - Can anyone tell me the difference between the 4ohm, 8ohm and 16ohm THD Hotplates? Why one and not the other or what?

Comment

to match the imedance of the cab(s) you are using.

if you have 1, 16ohm cab then you need the 16ohm hot plate.
              if you have 2, 16ohm cabs then you need the 8ohm hot plate.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I have one I use with the slo. It colors the sound a bit but I do like it.

Comment

If you have an amp that's safe to mismatch the impedance on (like some Boogies, for example), you can also mismatch the hotplate, fwiw.

Comment

I've got a THD Univalve amp... it's got one of those built it! Love it. Although, it's technically not exactly the same as their stand-alone Hotplate unit, it does pretty much the same thing.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I may be alone on this, but I don't like using hotplates with amps that have a lot of gain stages. IMHO it works best taming down amps like Super Leads, JCM 800's etc, but when I've tried it with amps like XTC, SLO, 5150, Dual rectifier, etc, I thought it sounded pretty bad.

Comment

I prefer the Weber MASS unit personally, but the hot plate is cool. Just avoid the rockman power soak - those things have killed more Marshalls than spilled beer.

Pete

Comment

I am not a fan of Hotplates in general but the Weber and the THD are both good choices.
                          Because they are fairly expensive my feeling is you are better off spending the money on a small SS combo or modeler for home use instead of cooking tubes at home with a hotplate. Just my .02 of course.

Comment

i agree with you john, but a lot of clubs don't let you turn up to tube head sweetness. "you're frying my monitors, turn down!" so having a hot plate live can work great if the sound man is one of those types.
                            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              i agree with you john, but a lot of clubs don't let you turn up to tube head sweetness. "you're frying my monitors, turn down!" so having a hot plate live can work great if the sound man is one of those types.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I can see your point for live use. I usually assume that most hotplates are being used at home.

Comment

Working...
                              X