Jackson cabs... Eh..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson cabs... Eh..

So in the practice space that I'm jamming in with a black metal band we have access to 2 Jackson 4x12 cabs. Other guitarist runs a Triple Rectifier, I run a 5150. I don't know what the deal is but somehow I have the damnedest time hearing him and hearing myself. No matter what the settings the Jackson cab makes both amps get lost in the mix real quick. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Just a little bit of frustration sharing.

Re: Jackson cabs... Eh..

Perhaps because both cabs have same freqencies. When our band had 2 guitars, both of us with 4X12's, the other guy used a Marshall 1960 and I used a 5150. The 5150 has more brightness with the high-end breakup. The Marshall is more nasal sounding with emphasis on mids. Those unique characteristics seperated our cab sounds.

Also, I've had more problems in metal bands hearing the other guy. I think is was due to scooping mids, cranking up, and it becomes a wash. I had more sound wars in strictly metal bands.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Perhaps because both cabs have same freqencies. When our band had 2 guitars, both of us with 4X12's, the other guy used a Marshall 1960 and I used a 5150. The 5150 has more brightness with the high-end breakup. The Marshall is more nasal sounding with emphasis on mids. Those unique characteristics seperated our cab sounds.

Also, I've had more problems in metal bands hearing the other guy. I think is was due to scooping mids, cranking up, and it becomes a wash. I had more sound wars in strictly metal bands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm.. Well, I can tell you that we're not scooping our mids! lol. I've actually never had a problem hearing myself or another guitarist in practice until I started jamming with this band and using the Jackson cab. The only trouble I've had has been people wanting to keep their amp quiet. To me, the Jackson cab sounds as though it is instantly scooping the mids, but in addition to that it almost makes both of our amps sound like Line 6 Spiders (you know what I'm saying - when you crank the volume real loud and try to play on a high gain dialed tone with those modelers, sometimes it sort of falls apart). I'm definitely going to be bringing my own cab out once we move into our new practice space.

Comment

I once had that problem with a Peavy cab. I don't remember the model name but it's the one that goes for around $350 new. No matter what I did I would get swallowed up in the mix and could never be heard. I ended up having to get rid of it.

Comment

I've got a pair of the Jackson vertical 2x12s... they sound great and I've never had a problem hearing myself while playing with a loud drummer and another guitar player. Though, they mainly get used at home because each one is heavier than a lot of 4x12s!!
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well, I have had this problem more based on where things are located than what is being used. Both me and the other guitarist in my band use Marshall 1960 leads at the moment. I have notice that as they are set up directly opposite from each other in the space (we share with another band) they can cancel each other. One of us trys to angle the cab when we play and we set up diffently live to make sure it is not an issue.
            "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Look at it this way: If Jackson cabs were great cabs, lots of pros would be using them and they would be very popular and sell for top dollar.

'Nuff said?

Comment

Working...
              X