My new rack system is being built

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new rack system is being built

After finding out that my home repairs were 1/2 of what I thought they would cost I had some money left to hide from my wife. This is what I am building:
    Carvin T100 power amp
    TC Electronics G-Major
    Soldano SP77 Purple
    31 band EQ
    Midi footcontroller with latching relays to control the channel switching for the Soldano
    rack mount power strip
    Heavy duty road case

Randall 2 x 12 cabs loaded with Celestions.

What do you think? I have never played through or heard a Soldano SP77. I think the G-Major will be a nice fit with it and I know the Carvin T100 is excellent.

Re: My new rack system is being built

I think the SP77 is ok, but I was really dissappointed by it's clean tone, or lack thereof. Try before you buy.

Comment

If you are going to use a G-Major, do you really need the 31band eq? Otherwise, it looks good!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I think the SP77 is ok, but I was really dissappointed by it's clean tone, or lack thereof. Try before you buy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I already bought it. I should get it in a few days.
        How is the gain channel. Is there any hint of SLO in it?
        The only Soldano I ever owned was the Astroverb and it sounded like a Soldano but not very close at all to a SLO.
        Funny, most of the reviews I have read on it usually state that the clean channel is excellent and very Fender like.
        I play metal so the clean doesn't have to be the best in the world anyway.

Comment

The clean isn't the best on the Soldano, but some chorus and delay will fatten it up. The lead channel on the SP77 kills the boogie preamps I've owned (Quad, studio) and you can get credible 80s/Lynch tones out of it. I think you'll enjoy the soldano.

Pete

Comment

I think the US (purple) SP77 has a better clean tone than the import (silver) version. It has a dynamic clean channel that you have to ride your volume knob on to use it effectively. Do that and you should dig it.
            Sounds like a cool rig although I'm not a big fan of EQ's. All too often I've seen people use them to dial all of the warmth and "tubiness" right out of their tone. Used judiciously, they can be a big help.
            If I can't get my sound from a preamp in conjunction with a BBE, I look elsewhere.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              If you are going to use a G-Major, do you really need the 31band eq? Otherwise, it looks good!

[/ QUOTE ]

That one is up in the air. Its already in the rack. Your right. I might not need it.

Comment

Yeah, the G-Major's 3 band parametric eq is pretty cool. Obviously you can set up the eq differently depending on patches.

The G-Major also can change 2 channels via the channel switching jack on the back. I use it on my 5150 to change channels plus turn the effects loop on and off, and on my Engl 530 I'd use it to change between clean and lead + low gain and high gain. So depending on the features of the SP77, you may not need your Midi controller to switch channels. What one are you going to get anyways?

Comment

Of all the stuff you buy, you should REALLY Contemplate a TC electronics or Furman Parametric EQ for your rigs. What it can do to a preamp as far as increasing perceived gain, and tone shaping is nothing short of incredible.

They can help make a fairly sedate preamp like SP-77s CAEs, older ENGLs become ripsnorting beasts.

I would probably sell my CAE if I hadn't tried the parametric with it.

DO NOT buy a cheapy, or inparticular a Behringer, they sound like ass.

A graphic EQ is a totally different sounding animal. No comparision at all.

Comment

Sounds like a pretty good rig John. If you want the clean channel to sound a little better put a 5751 or 12AY7 in the v1 socket of the sp77. The sp77 isn't all that close to the SLO though. It's got the Soldano tone but they always fall short when it comes to the OD channel. Also if you use the channel switching of the G-major you may run into a problem with it switching by it self for a split second back to clean. My Roctron Replifex did that. Not sure if the TC has a better channel switcher.
                    We must!
                    We must!
                    We must increase the bust!
                    The bigger the better!
                    The tighter the sweater!
                    The boys are counting on us!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Yeah, the G-Major's 3 band parametric eq is pretty cool. Obviously you can set up the eq differently depending on patches.

The G-Major also can change 2 channels via the channel switching jack on the back. I use it on my 5150 to change channels plus turn the effects loop on and off, and on my Engl 530 I'd use it to change between clean and lead + low gain and high gain. So depending on the features of the SP77, you may not need your Midi controller to switch channels. What one are you going to get anyways?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure on the controller. I am pretty sure its the Ground Control. I am going to use the G-Major to channel switch the Soldano for sure. I am also going to set up all the presets with the factory -6db setting so that I can assign a global solo boost button.

Regarding the similarity to the SLO. Its not really important. I was just asking. I don't play with nearly as much gain as alot of metal heads do.

Comment

Yeah, Cleve John is right, parametric eq's are the shizzle. I had a blackface Furman PQ3, and while it added some noise it made my amp sound so much better.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          my home repairs were 1/2 of what I thought they would cost I had some money left to hide from my wife. What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you should stop hiding money from your wife! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] seriously though, maybe stick it in savings or put it toward a vacation for the two of you or something that you'd both enjoy! [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                          Sully Guitars on Facebook
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Let me know who the Carvin amp sounds. I've been thinking of "downgrading" [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] to one. I currently have a VHT2902 and never use all that power. I use 1 channel, on half power. Can the T100 be switched to 6L6's or is that only on the new TS100's?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Let me know who the Carvin amp sounds. I've been thinking of "downgrading" [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] to one. I currently have a VHT2902 and never use all that power. I use 1 channel, on half power. Can the T100 be switched to 6L6's or is that only on the new TS100's?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats only on the new TS100.

Comment

Working...
                              X