combo or smaller cab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• combo or smaller cab?

atm i'm using a jcm800 2210 (and soon a 5150I). for rehearsal, i either use the jmp1/EL34 100:100 rack setup through a marshall 1960 fullstack, or my own marshall also through the 1960s. in any way, there's always two marshall 1960 fullstacks in our rehearsal space. when playing gigs, we play through whatever cab the promoter has organized, in other words we never have to bring our own cabs to a gig.

now, for home use, i'm either running a pod 2.0 direct, or my amps through a 412 laney cab. the second setup is just overkill for home practice. i'm thinking maybe i should sell the 412 cab (as i explained above, i don't need it anyways) and get either a 112 or 212 cab or go all the way and get a combo (so i don't have to haul those damn heavy heads all the way to the second floor [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) for bedroom use only.
    so, my questions are:
    -whats better? using my heads through a small cab, or getting an 112 combo?
    -if i decided to get a combo, what would you suggest? it definitely shouldn't be super expensive....like 450 euro used maximum. it absolutely MUST be able to do thrash metal right out of the box. 2 channels are enough.
    -last but not least, do you guys thing this whole thing is a stupid idea, and i'd be better off selling the cab, getting another guitar for the money, and just stick to the pod for home use?

Re: combo or smaller cab?

During practice I use a spider30 or guitar rig.
    With Guitar Rig I have everything I need to write down ideas and "build" songs,and with the little spider I have the "in your face" sound of a real amp.Used to practice with a pod 2.0 but I got tired of it.Imo a modelling amp is the shiznit for home practice...,a used flextone III would be a really nice toy..

Comment

if the laney 4x12 sounds good, then keep it. what if you happen to play a gig where you are required to bring your own stuff? man, i personally wouldn't beable to stand using a different cabinet at every gig, let alone it being someone elses. i guess i'm way to independant!

Comment

well, if i have to bring my own stuff i'm surely bringing the marshall 1960s we have in our rehearsal space. my laney 412 is glued to my bedroom [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        and well....yeah, sometimes there are shitty cabs, like behringers or other no name stuff. thats only rarely the case, though. usually there's either a 1960, an engl std cab, or a mesa recto cab. quality stuff.

Comment

Working...
        X