Played a Krankenstein today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Played a Krankenstein today...

Went to the OKC Guitar center today and a few music stores and pawn shops in the area. (picked up a new amp too, it wasn't the Krank.) Anyways, Off in the corner of the 'vault' was a looked like new Krankenstein 1/2 stack. Had green and white screen printing on the chassis (woo, two colors!) and a footswitch.

I didn't play with it for a long time, but the clean was flat, and the overdrive channel could be dialled in for so much gain that at whisper volumes it oscillated with the volume off on the guitar. The overdrive channel had two masters, and both affected the gain. Interesting idea, but the execution was lousy. I guess it was so you could get so much distortion that you'd never need a pedal.

Anyways, clean tones were flat, overdrive was a little thin but not the worst I've ever heard. It sounded like a preamp dimed high gain reverb JCM900 with a boost pedal in front of it. It just had that kinda thin gained out sound - it didn't get real beefy when I 'kranked' it either. This was with the matching cab, so it's not like I played it through a crate cab or something. It wasn't the worst tone I've heard, but a Randall RG100 or 80 would eat it's lunch.

Channel switching worked ok. Even if price weren't an issue, the B-52 or whatever the hell those ugly things that GC sells sound better.

I'm going to post the price on it later... let's just say the price/performance ratio was abysmal.

Pete

Re: Played a Krankenstein today...

Thank's for the review.

What amp did you end up buying?

Comment

Cool Pete.. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Bought an old Peavey VTM60 head - I'm going to mod the crap out of it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

That is the same Krankenstein i tested at GC compared with the Triple Rec sitting next to it. I am a 5150 fan but a RG100 would stomp it.
          This space for rent

Comment

How long have they had that there? it wasn't in last time I was in OKC (three months or so ago)

Pete

Comment

One thing you guys gotta understand, is that this amp unfortunatly was designed with ONE guitar in mind and that was Dime's washburns/deans, A large mahogany bodied set neck guitar with a more than needed high output bridge pickup. I liked the sound of the Krankensteeeeeen with my Dime guitars but it really was designed to be a tube amp that did the solid state sound...not well either as my rg100, century 200 and X2 kick it's ass in EVERY way possible, you guys really ought to hear a Century 200, it sounds like a monster Marshall with a shite load of bottom end!

Anyhow

I like the Krankensite, but I would only use one if they gave it to me, and even then they would be empty on stage and my backline would be all powerballs!

I really think Krank took advantage of Dime and his name in this instance they did alot of talking and telling him what he wanted to hear, and I don't know if really believed it all, but had few choices at the time, some sources say?

Guess we will never know, one thing for sure, Dime kicked ass and made his Kranks sound good, and you can hear that on various Damageplan boots from before he was taken, anyhow, peace

RIP Dime!!!

Comment

The amp oscillated with the volume on the guitar turned all the way off, so if they designed it for an amp with a high gain humbucker... then they were dumbasses. I bet that oscillation (out of control feedback) would have gone away with a high gain pickup?

I just don't understand why they didn't just make the damn thing a solid state amp. I can see why a solid state amp would be made to sound like a tube amp - tube amps are more expensive to build and maintain. It doesn't make much sense the other way around.

Oh, and if Dime had stock amps... I would be very surprised.

Pete

Comment

The old Randall Warhead amp of Dime's was a cooler SS than the Krank is a tube.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I just don't understand why they didn't just make the damn thing a solid state amp. I can see why a solid state amp would be made to sound like a tube amp - tube amps are more expensive to build and maintain. It doesn't make much sense the other way around.

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Pete, I'm guessing that it made it more marketable and allowed them to Krank the price to ridiculous levels. Nobody's gonna pay that much for an SS amp. Plus tube amps are kind of in vogue, and a bunch of glowing glass looks cool as hell. And some people care more about that than they do about tone.

Comment

Twister, the amp has only been there a couple weeks, i heard it the day after it came in. The salesman played a schecter c-1 thru it and a triple rec. the mesa blew it away bad. sorry dime fans.
                      This space for rent

Comment

I loved Dime's playing, but his amp choices were never something I understood. I can make better sounds farting than I ever could get out of a Warhead. More like Borehead.

Comment

Working...
                        X