5150 versus Soldano SP77/Carvin T100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150 versus Soldano SP77/Carvin T100

Which amp wins in a battle for 80's-90's straight up metal tone ala Dokken, Ratt, Scorpions, Priest, Fuel, Godsmack, Metallica etc... you get the idea.

The 5150 is a stock signature model head
    The Soldano is the USA purple version preamp with a Carvin T100 running a quad of EL34's.

Why am I asking?
    My band Aftermath had a recording session on Saturday. It didn't go well for me. They are looking for a specific guitar tone. They have been recording and playing live with 5150's for so long it seems that regardless of the amp, they are always trying to dial in a 5150 type tone. I brought my Marshall 3203, a Boss GT-6, and I borrowed a Mesa Dual Rectifier, and a Vetta II.
    Personally, I thought the 3203 sounded the best mic'd and turned way up. They absolutely bashed the Vetta and the GT-6 as sounding too "direct" sounding even when mic'd.
    I had to fall back to my 5150II and record with that after hours of tweaking and heated discussions regarding guitar tone. The sound engineer mentioned (like I have heard many time before) that he preferred 5150's live and in the studio because they are easy to set up. I thought they sounded a little buzzy and certainly noisy. He had them gated bigtime to fix that.
    Then.. he mentioned "why don't you get a Soldano? After all, a 5150 is the poor mans Soldano."
    The sound they are looking for can be achieved with a 5150 with just basic settings and the gain on the rhythm channel around 6.
    How will a Soldano SP77 with a Carvin T100 stack up tone wise to the 5150.
    Cabinets used are stock 5150 cabs and Marshall 1960a's for recording. They use SM57's centered on one speaker in the front. They also use an open back 1 x 12 Mesa cab with a mic in the front and a mike in the back.
    I can always use my 5150II but my point for the Saturday's session was this: I want to conform to what they are looking for but I also want my guitar tone to be recognizable. Kind of the way Tipton/Downing or Demartini/Crosby had their guitar sounds. They were similar but with subtle differences.
    Will my new rig do the trick?

Re: 5150 versus Soldano SP77/Carvin T100

for what your describing..my JMP-1 does that stuff great John...authetic 80's metal / shred tones.

I heard that the SP77 is great for that stuff as well.

5150 are a bit more bloated and darker sounding much more "modern" and agressive for that Dokken / Ratt / JP / early VH tones..IMO
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Well, if you are going for high gain tones then bring a pedal because the SP77 doesn't get as messy as a 5150.
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Well, if you are going for high gain tones then bring a pedal because the SP77 doesn't get as messy as a 5150.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tim, what pedal or type of pedal would you suggest?

Comment

"why don't you get a Soldano? After all, a 5150 is the poor mans Soldano."

That is such a load of crap. I've owned all three Soldano HR heads and a Soldano SLO. They all owned, pretty much.
          I don't like 5150's at all. I've tried them a couple of times, and couldn't get them gone fast enough. So if they were a "poor mans Soldano", and I am a poor man, you'd think I for one would be all excited about them.

Now, I've never played any of the Soldano preamps, so I can't help there, but I don't think you can muddy up a Soldano head enough to make it not slay a 5150.

Just My Opinion, YMMV, My 2 Cents, etc...!

Comment

It's hard to say without knowing what that T100 does to the tone. I know that each of my power amps has a very definite impact on the tone - particularly in the bottom end.

I'd grab several pedals. You can't go wrong with having an 808 type pedal, DS-1, etc. I wouldn't go with a heavy metal style pedal since you don't really want to pummel the tone [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

A great one would be the Radial Tonebone Classic - that was on my board for a long time - the thing that pushed it off the board was a Soldano Supercharger.

- Newc

Comment

A Korg Hyper Distortion pedal RULES..but they are hard to come by.
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

If its your band you should be able to use YOUR tone, not what the engineer wants you to get. Its his job to capture your tone, not the other way around. If the tone that you ge with the band is what you want waxed then use it.

You should have brought the Mark III and cranked that sumbitch [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  If its your band you should be able to use YOUR tone, not what the engineer wants you to get. Its his job to capture your tone, not the other way around. If the tone that you ge with the band is what you want waxed then use it.

You should have brought the Mark III and cranked that sumbitch [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you Shawn. Here is the story. The sound engineer is the keyboard/bass player in the band. He works for MTV2 and Viacom as a music/video editor. I brought the Mark III 1st. They trashed it because it was too dominant in the mix. Basically, it killed the 5150. I thought it sounded crushing. They aren't into the crushing thing (even though they use 5150's). I did agree that it was very dominant in the mix no matter how it was EQ'd. I think that after Saturdays nightmare session they realize that I need to have a degree of MY tone on the songs. Hopefully the Soldano SP77 will do the trick. I usually don't back down or even compromise much regarding my guitar tone but these guys have laid down a great guitar sound without me. My only critique of it is that its not very interesting. Both guitar tracks use the exact same tone. The solo's are also the exact same tone, just punched up with some effects.

Comment

Spice it up John. I have an electric sitar you could borrow [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

- Newc

Comment

Another thing you may want to consider for your leads is to snag something with single coils. A Strat, Tele or something with P-90's will stand out a lot - just snag a boost pedal to hit the front end of the amp harder.

- Newc

Comment

Sounds to me like the guy doing the recording is a lazy bastard who just wants to use his 'magic formula'.

Pete

Comment

I brought my 7 string guitars yesterday. The bottom end was knocking the walls down. I also have a PRS with McCarty's in it that I am going to bring.

Comment

That makes sense John but still, what someone else has done does not intimidate me one bit [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Its you on the recording and you should shine with your sound. Regardless of how cool they record -- having all the guitars sound the same is not very appealing to me. Sure I like consistencey in tone but if its a 2 guitar band they with two different playeres they should be different.

I would be a dick in in the studio [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I worked on my guitar sound and recording so I know what I want to bring to a recording and having someone else tell me what sound to use would be hard. I'd give it more of an ear if it was a major record contract and I was getting a killer budget.
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Sounds to me like the guy doing the recording is a lazy bastard who just wants to use his 'magic formula'.

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Pete, that is exactly it but I have to bite my tongue a bit. I can tell because as soon as I introduce a new amp I get flack before its even turned on.
                              The amp I was the most surprise on was the Vetta. It sounded incredible. They didn't want to use it because it sounded to direct. Even mic'd. I thought it sounded incredible. Oh well.. concessions. I can live with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X