5150 versus Soldano SP77/Carvin T100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 5150 versus Soldano SP77/Carvin T100

Make the other guitar player use a better amp and have him get a Mk III!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I really liked the SP-77 when I had one. I ended up selling it to Neddy, and he had it modded with the crunch mod. I thought it was good enough, however. It's not "heavy", but it does rock. Certainly enough to trade Ratt-style licks to be sure.

Comment

I am also going to try it with my pedal board live. I am actually more concerned now with the recorded tone. I have to imagine its going to be good. I recorded some tracks with the Astroverb I had with a 4 x 12 cabinet and besides the Mesa Boogie Studio 22, its the best recorded guitar tone I ever got. Another amp that I got a great recorded guitar tone from back in the 80's was a Galien Krueger ML250. That amp sounded huge mic'd and recorded.

Comment

mmh....believe it or not, the old mesa dc5 i had here for a while had a direct out that sounded VERY good. it killed my pod for direct tones imho, although of course not nearly as versatile. when put through a cab it didn't sound anywhere close to that unfortunately [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] i need to dig up the clips of that one....

Comment

I bought a Soldano SP77(american model)and use it all the time now.Great preamp but have to admit that it isnt as high gain as my other preamps(Pod Pro/digitech 2120/art sgx2000)The two chanels sound great but could do with a perhaps a lil more gain-nothing major and to be honest i play with less gain these days.I have only just now got it to sound fucking fantastic(use my pod pro for reverb and delay and speaker simulation)

here is a tune i did with it just after i got it a few months back-tone isnt half way as good as i get it now but i have it sorted now.great preamps,very responsive

http://www.justinjohnwakely.com/cont...ws_falling.mp3

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I bought a Soldano SP77(american model)and use it all the time now.Great preamp but have to admit that it isnt as high gain as my other preamps(Pod Pro/digitech 2120/art sgx2000)The two chanels sound great but could do with a perhaps a lil more gain-nothing major and to be honest i play with less gain these days.I have only just now got it to sound fucking fantastic(use my pod pro for reverb and delay and speaker simulation)

here is a tune i did with it just after i got it a few months back-tone isnt half way as good as i get it now but i have it sorted now.great preamps,very responsive

http://www.justinjohnwakely.com/cont...ws_falling.mp3

[/ QUOTE ]

What type of gain setting did you have? I love your style of playing. Very cool.

Comment

thanks mate
              gain setting was maxed out on both chanels..lol.I only had the preamp for a day or so before recording this as a hardware test so the speaker emu on the pod pro wasnt set up as idealy as i would like it to be.I normaly dial in a soldano sound on any amp i use so i might as well fucking use one realy..lol.If your front ended it with a TS9 or whatever you could get the lynchy high gain stylings-it needs the pedal to sound filthy but like i said i use less gain these days so i can easily live with the more open sounding notes and chords.For the price you cant go wrong-its like a cool overdrive pedal,looks fucking sweet too

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                thanks mate
                gain setting was maxed out on both chanels..lol.I only had the preamp for a day or so before recording this as a hardware test so the speaker emu on the pod pro wasnt set up as idealy as i would like it to be.I normaly dial in a soldano sound on any amp i use so i might as well fucking use one realy..lol.If your front ended it with a TS9 or whatever you could get the lynchy high gain stylings-it needs the pedal to sound filthy but like i said i use less gain these days so i can easily live with the more open sounding notes and chords.For the price you cant go wrong-its like a cool overdrive pedal,looks fucking sweet too

[/ QUOTE ]

I sensed a little Eric Johnson, John Petrucci, Beck, Vai, etc.. Very cool free flowing style.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did the same thing with a Pod 2.0 and my SP77 - they worked well together. I certainly prefer the SP77 over the mesa mark series preamps (quad and studio) and think that John is going to love it.

Pete

Comment

not worthy for that high praise john!but thanks

yeahh Pete the pod's have got great uses for reamping/fx routing and the speaker emulated cabs on offer are great to drasticaly shape the tone and give it thump when needed

I think too many just see it as good sounding preamp and dont realize what it could do to their other preamps when using the tube preamp and fx section on the unit

Comment

[quote
                      I love your style of playing. Very cool.

[/ QUOTE ]
                      Same here, Justin is so f'n smooth, he's great at playing intervals verys fast and very smooth. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Working...
                      X