Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amp bargain I had to share with you guys...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp bargain I had to share with you guys...

Peavey. VTM. I had one about 10 years ago, and got rid of it because it was one channel. Found a 60 watt VTM head in an OKC pawnshop for $129 this saturday. Snagged it, and it sounded decent with the STOCK NEARLY DEAD TUBES. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Found a schematic for it, so I'm going to play with modding it - for $129, you can't even buy a pair of transformers for a 50 watt amp, ya know? The amp is constructed pretty cleanly on PCBs, but have ribbon connectors between the boards. Looks like it will be fairly easy to modify.

First thing mine is getting is a depth/resonance control, then I'm going to revoice it for tighter bass and maybe a tiny bit more gain.

If you can get past the Peavey name, these amps kick a lot of ass for low dollars. Plus you get an effects loop and all tube construction. What a deal! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

FYI, this amp is like the father of the 5150 - the guy who designed the XXX and 5150 also designed the VTM. This isn't the gainiest amp on the planet but it has more imho than one channel JCM800s, and about as much or a bit more than the two channel JCM800s.

At what they are selling for, it's almost a nobrainer to pick one up. Cheaper than a friggin' sovtek and sounds better.

Pete

Re: Amp bargain I had to share with you guys...

WHAT!?! We've been trying to get rid of our VTM60 for a year or so. Cheaper than that. It's a good doorstop right now.

Comment

I think they sound great stock, but I'm going to mod mine. That 'doorstop' was used on several albums, including a couple of soundgarden ones. Kim Thayil used VTMs even after they had a mesa endorsement. Steve Morse used them too.

Pete

Comment

Adrian Vandenburg used them as well

Comment

Those are simmalar to the Butcher made by Peavey, right? If so, then heck yeah...I thought it sounded pretty dang good for it's price! I'd love to hear before and after sound clips though!!

Comment

Who was the guy in the ad for VTM's when they first came out? I heard they're good to mod. Wish I knew how to fiddle with electronics then I'd play with it's guts.

Comment

Michael Fath, I think.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                WHAT!?! We've been trying to get rid of our VTM60 for a year or so. Cheaper than that. It's a good doorstop right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have one you're looking to move, PM me. I could always use another cheap amp around to experiment on, like Pete.

Comment

I've always wanted one of them.

Comment

That's the thing - everything is already included on these amps, and a few dollars worth of parts and a few hours messing around with them could get some interesting tones.

Ross - if you get one, let me know. I procured the schematic for the VTM amps, and they look like they will be very easy to mod, if you don't mind working on a pcb board. I'll have to post some gut shots tonight, it actually looks like it's going to be easier to mod than many marshalls just because each board (preamp, power amp, power section/caps) are hooked to other boards with detachable ribbon cables. Since it's a one channel amp, there ain't a whole lot of 'extra' stuff in there either, it's pretty simple, just gobs of high gain goodness. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

I remember loving the tone my old guitar instructor got out of his VTM 120...He actually liked the tone of my Randall mini head! lol...I hated the thing...It just looked cool. (Full stack a bit bigger than the Marshall Micro)

This was back in 89' or 90'. I thought they sounded better than any Marshall I had heard. (VTM) that is.

What do those mini switches do?
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

They change the frequency response and add in extra gain. two for gain, two for lows, one for mids, two for treble (affects the presence control) and one for compression.

Here's a gut shot...

Pete

Comment

Pete, are you trying to make this into a Peavey Ultra in a sence? I love my Ultra 60 watt 1x12, especially with the JJ tubes. Jack.

Comment

Jack - no. Just trying to get tighter gain, more bass... more of a super-metal tone. I'm thinking Peavey Uber. LOL!

Pete

Comment

I had a Butcher years ago (still have the cab), but I was completely inexperienced with tube amps, and couldn't get a decent sound out of it. I think it needed a serious retube. I'd like to get another one, just to see what I missed out on.
                              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                              X