Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with matching Speakers to Amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with matching Speakers to Amp?

Sorry for the stupid question here guys.

Anyway..my son has a Crate GLX1200 Amp head 120 Watt SS with only an 8 ohm output for the speaker cab. He currently runs a matching crate cab out of it.

I was looking at a Berhinger Cab so he has some flexibilty to go full tsack or leave his other cab at where he practices. the Behringer however is 16Ohm Mono 8 Ohm stereo input. Its listed at 400W Mono /200 W stereo.

So, how does oHm's work /not work with amps?

I assume he could use the Berhinger in Mono alone out of the cab. What would the Wattage be with his Amp set at 8 Ohms?

Could both he and his other guitarist play in stereo on this cab from two seperate amps?

Could he play alone in stereo ( I understand from the info that it would only be two speakers)?

Is it possible to use both this cab and his 8 ohm Crate cab together as a full stack?

Thanks for the help, I'm Chritmas/Birthday shopping and want to find something usefull.

Re: Need help with matching Speakers to Amp?

1. So, how does oHm's work /not work with amps? well, as long as you don't go below an 8 ohm total load the amp will be fine.

2. I assume he could use the Berhinger in Mono alone out of the cab. What would the Wattage be with his Amp set at 8 Ohms? he could use the berhringer cab in mono (16 ohms). he MAY lose some of the output, but it shouldn't be noticeable.

3. Could both he and his other guitarist play in stereo on this cab from two seperate amps? it is not adviseable.

4. Could he play alone in stereo ( I understand from the info that it would only be two speakers)? yes, if he had a stereo amp.

5. Is it possible to use both this cab and his 8 ohm Crate cab together as a full stack? if the head only has one 8 ohm speaker out, then the answer is no. you could dasiy chain the cabs if you rewire the crate for 16 ohms (if it has all 8 ohm or 16 ohm speakers).
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

OK....thanks.

so if I understand correctly, don't go under 8 ohms ( or whatever the ohm setting is on the amp.

To use the Speaker cab in stereo , you need a stereo uoyput on the amp itself.

To use both cabs together one would need to be re-wired. Any info here for re-wiring speakers?

No way to use hte Berhinger in stereo ( wouldn;t it only use two speakers then) at 8 ohms and the crate in mono at 8 ohms??

thanks again

Comment

Re: OK....thanks.

1. so if I understand correctly, don't go under 8 ohms ( or whatever the ohm setting is on the amp) - right.

2. To use the Speaker cab in stereo , you need a stereo uoyput on the amp itself. - right. for example, i have a rivera S-120. it has 2 X 60 watt power amps built in. it can work as a mono 60 watt amp, or a stereo 120 watt amp. so if used the cab you are considering, then i could use the cab in stereo and have my effects like chorus be "true" stereo.

3. To use both cabs together one would need to be re-wired. Any info here for re-wiring speakers? Yes. go to www.usspeakers.com they have a bunch of diagrams. (nevermind on that link - i just checked it and the site is gone. i'll find another site later and post that link)

4. No way to use hte Berhinger in stereo ( wouldn;t it only use two speakers then) at 8 ohms and the crate in mono at 8 ohms?? well, you could if you put a dummy plug in the other speaker jack on the cab. then you would defeat 2 of the speakers.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

Re: OK....thanks.

If you can afford it by a cheap power amp, they sell the nady's for super low prices like this one http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/482059/ then i would take the send from the crate head and put it into the power amp and have the power amp power the second cab.

Comment

one more stupid question, please.

If I get another 8 oHm cab and he hooks one thru the other with the jacks on the back, does that effext the total Ohms going to the AMP?

I've read both that it halves the total Ohms (which would put it at 4 Ohms and under what his amp has listed at 8 Ohms) and also that it doesn't efect the total Ohms using the cabs as a full stack.

Comment

Re: one more stupid question, please.

I'm thinking about getting the Crate Shockwave GT3500H, which has 350 watts, but to properly run it, you have to connect it to a 2 ohm cab, which is rare. So I have to like get 2 4 ohm cabs and stuff, and that'll end up costing more.

Comment

Re: one more stupid question, please.

If I get another 8 oHm cab and he hooks one thru the other with the jacks on the back, does that effext the total Ohms going to the AMP? yes. that would give a 4 ohm load. to low for the amp.

the best way for him to be able to run a full stack is to have 2 16 ohm cabs.
                GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

OK...thanks so much for the info.

I'll send an e-mail to Crate and ask them how to adress it, since they sell the Cabs at 8 Ohm and the Amp without adjustable ohm settings.

I won't hold my breath for an answer, however.

Comment

I got an e-mail back from Crate

They said the amp will handle a 4 ohm load fine, so 2- 8 Ohm cabs is not a problem.

I suppose I should believe the manufacturer.....but will the output of the amp be effected by using only 4 ohms?

Comment

Re: I got an e-mail back from Crate

[ QUOTE ]
                      They said the amp will handle a 4 ohm load fine, so 2- 8 Ohm cabs is not a problem.

I suppose I should believe the manufacturer.....but will the output of the amp be effected by using only 4 ohms?

[/ QUOTE ]

It can be done but it will strain the electronics more then it normaly would. Since this is a solid state amp you don thave to worry about burning out tubes faster or blowing the output transformer, however you could heat up other components and make the amp fail. The people at crate designed the power amp to run at 8 ohms so idealy you should run it at 8 or 16 ohm

Comment

if crate says it's okay, then it must be. that does go against normal wisdom, but it is their product!!!
                        GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          if crate says it's okay, then it must be. that does go against normal wisdom, but it is their product!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but depending on who answered the email and his knowledge depends how good the answer was. Also remember they wont mind if you blow it up, because then you have to buy a new one from them! It wont just die right away, it will take time to slowl die if you are overheating the electronics. Yes it can be done, would i, nope.

Comment

i whole-heartedly agree with siggy.
                            GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

I didn\'t quite understand their answer either.

Everything I read said that if I put 2- 8 ohm cabs together it would make the total load of 4 Ohms.

I don't really trust the answer I got from Crate..I will try to verify that with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X