Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confessions of a former Recto hater.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confessions of a former Recto hater.....

Up until last week I've never been very fond of Rectos. Every time I've tried one I thought they sounded buzzy, loose, and flabby. I would get frustrated after a short time and just walk away thinking they're just not for me. They seemed to be the exact opposite of what I liked. Now on the other hand, I've always heard cds, clips, and have seen bands play with them and they sounded great. I always attributed it to being studio magic or modded amps.

So anyway...fast forward to last week. I decided I was going to give them one last chance after getting a trade offer for one on a guitar. I downloaded the manual off the Mesa site, read up on it and took it to a Mesa dealer with me. With the help of the manual and a helpful store employee I was able to properly use and really understand all the different features on a dual recto. I never imagined how interactive the eq was and how changing one setting affected almost all of them. And cranking the shit out of it made a huge difference. I played that mofo for 1.5 hours and got that thing sounding great. Pure brutality! All of the features and options make it really versatile too. I never knew there were so many features.

So anyway, I loved it so much the next day I bought one(a used one of course). After a little tube swapping I have it sounding absolutely fucking incredible. Also using an OD pedal in front for a clean boost really tightens it up nicely. I have never been this happy with any piece of gear ever! I wish I had some decent recording gear to make clips. This amp has really inspired me and I can't wait to get back to a normal working schedule and be in a band again.

I feel guilty for being a hater for so long! I needed to come clean...lol!

Re: Confessions of a former Recto hater.....

Which Recto did you end up picking up?

Comment

What od are You using -what channel and settings are you digging

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Which Recto did you end up picking up?

[/ QUOTE ]

3 channel Dual Recto.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          What od are You using -what channel and settings are you digging

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm at work right now so I'll have to get the settings later but I really like channel 2, vintage mode, bold setting, diode rectifier and channel 3, modern, bold, diode rectifier. I'm using a MXR ZW overdrive with the level @ 2:30, tone @ 10:30, gain @ zero. I also bypass the loop and just use the channel masters.

Comment

RTFM is definitely the rule with the Rectos - it took me a month or more to really "dial in" my tone after I got my Triple, but once I did, wow!

It's funny, I was in GC yesterday and a guy was in the loud room playing a Rhoads through a Dual, and he wasn't diggin' the tone. I looked at the settings - orange, gain all the way up on modern, treble and bass cranked, no mid, half presence - basic "cheap amp scoop" settings. In fifteen seconds after I changed it to "sane" settings, I completely changed his opinion of the amp.
            Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I just got a dual recto rackmount and love it. Anyone want to share any settings?
              Good deals with:
              Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

I too have found a new love for Recto's, but can't decide between a Dualie, MarkIV, or a Krank. Rawr.

Comment

I have always wanted a Dual or Triple Rectifier. Maybe in 2006. Jack.

Comment

I have used a Japan Boss SD-1 in front of my recto for about a year now. Just makes the thing so much tighter. I can't play without it these days.

My tubes are on their way out though, what tubes did you end up buying?

Comment

most of the people have problems to get the right tone out of rectos, they need to be tweaked differently than any other amp. I love those amps.
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Congratz on the Triple and finding a tone that blows you away. Thats always a great thing. Personally, of all the Rectifiers, the triple is my least favorite only because its just too much power for most applications. 150 watts is too much! They sound great once you dial them in though. You just have to get over the fact that most of the time you will be gigging with the master volume on 2.
                        In order, my favs:
                        1st gen 2 channel Dual Rectifier
                        2nd gen 2 channel w/solo boost Single Rectifier
                        1st gen 2 channel Dual Rectifier Tremoverb

Comment

Recto's are funny creatures, and without the right tweaking and cabinets etc.. you get idiots that bash them because they didnt have the patience or ability to get there sound. Recto's sound like completly different then most amps and there are so many options. Right now i am in the process of selling my roadking that i know i will miss dearly, but truth be told i just dont use all the functions on it. And how do use it i could get away using a regular recto so to me i just cant justify keeping it for now. I still have my rack mount recto that i will keep and maybe someday eventually get a 3 channel version, i do want to mod a 3 channel version to have a bias pot to see how much i can tighten it up that way. Good luck and have fun.

Comment

Alright guys. I've been looking into buying a 2 channel dual recto. I'll need some quick tips to getting it setup. First off, I'll be using it with a G-Major. Does the Recto channel switching us a standard 1/4 stereo jack?
                            I'd be running (2) 16 ohm cabs. Anyone else do that? My cabs are a Marshall 1960a and a 5150a. Where is a decent eZboard to discuss with other recto guys?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Alright guys. I've been looking into buying a 2 channel dual recto. I'll need some quick tips to getting it setup. First off, I'll be using it with a G-Major. Does the Recto channel switching us a standard 1/4 stereo jack?
                              I'd be running (2) 16 ohm cabs. Anyone else do that? My cabs are a Marshall 1960a and a 5150a. Where is a decent eZboard to discuss with other recto guys?

[/ QUOTE ]

In order:

Yes, it uses standard 1/4" jacks - they're usually mono - and the G-Major will switch it, but you'll need a "Y" cable.

I don't run two 16 ohms, but there's a whole chapter in the manual about what jacks to use with which cab combo. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I've never found a "good" Recto forum. I've found a couple of bad ones. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                              Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Working...
                              X