A couple of Line 6 Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of Line 6 Questions

Hey All, long time no post (but have been lurking).

Anyway, I'm ready to downsize (again) and thinking of selling/trading my Flextone III 2x12 (with the SBV) for a POD-XT. I'm done playing out so losing the amp isnt a big deal.

My first question is, what am I losing by going from the Flex III to the POD XT in terms of functionality, settings, and tone?

The other question is, besides headphones, what are you running your XT through for sound? I remember an ad from Guitar World that had a POD XT matched up with some sort of Bose system - anybody do anything like that? I would like to have some sort of external speaker(s) if I move to the POD.
    Any suggestions comments on those are very welcome.

Re: A couple of Line 6 Questions

Keyboard amps work really good. So do powered computer speakers.

Comment

any decent powered speaker system should do you fine. the bose system they are talking about is a newer P.A. type system that they have created eq curves for. but basically you'll want to set the output of the xt to studio direct to make full use of all the cab/mic/room size simulation.

the only thing (i beleive) that you will loose is the power amp and speakers.

and honestly i don't see a need to downgrade. i mean, you basically have a pod/power amp/speaker combo that is specifically tuned for the pod's pre-amp. you can still run direct off the flextone to record. and i think you can use headphones aswell.

maybe you should consider trading for the 1x12 flextone III combo instead. that way you'll cut down on size and weight and you won't have to lug around powered speaker to hear yourself jam.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

You won't be loosing anything in regards to tone.
        Function is a different story unless you keep the shortboard.

Comment

The bose setup is pretty expensive and I doubt you would get a great one from it for metal .. I'[ve never heard it to say for sure ..

I used to have a pod directly into my pc which worked well and headphones.. if you want diversity you can always get an atomic amp for it and then you have a bit of everything ..

If your gonna grab the pod xt then get the live and you eliminate the need for an added floorboard....
          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I hate the way the Bose system sounds with the POD XT Live....in fact I hate the way it sounds with most everything except acoustic guitars, and even then I don't like it much. However the tall skinny part is great for sliding your guitar down to make larger-than-life pickscrape type sounds. It would probably be good for horseshoes too.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I hate the way the Bose system sounds with the POD XT Live....in fact I hate the way it sounds with most everything except acoustic guitars, and even then I don't like it much. However the tall skinny part is great for sliding your guitar down to make larger-than-life pickscrape type sounds. It would probably be good for horseshoes too.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

Those Bose things are a cool idea but I'm not a fan.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                and honestly i don't see a need to downgrade. i mean, you basically have a pod/power amp/speaker combo that is specifically tuned for the pod's pre-amp. you can still run direct off the flextone to record. and i think you can use headphones aswell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have specified that I'm looking for more space in my music room. Right now it's filling up with guitars and memorabilia so space is getting to be a concern.

I would have looked into the 1x12, but it doesnt appear to be much smaller as the cab size is pretty close (I could be wrong on that though).

Sounds like the Bose is out as I play mostly classic rock/80s metal.

Hooked up to my PC in there I have a real nice Klipsch THX setup with a powered sub attached to it - sounds like that might do the trick.

For those who have the XT and or XT Live setup, does it have as many amp models to choose from? I think the Flex 3 is about 64 pre-programmed. While I have been getting into making my own, options are nice to have.

Jason

Comment

XTL gives you 4 (ABCD) x 32 I think. I could be wrong, it's at home and I'm at work. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You also get plenty of effects and amps. By adding the two amp packs you will have all the Vetta emulations. The XTL already comes with the effects pack preloaded. Get the XTL, since it has a footswitch already and you're needing more space anyways.

Pete

Comment

Just stay with the Flextone - I did the same thing 2 years ago, and now I have a Flextone III XL again, no POD, and I'm out about $600 after the whole experiment.

Comment

Ok. I think I'm leaning towards the XT Live. Anyone running this through powered studio monitors? What do you think?

I'm thinking KRK Rokits or M-Audio equivilants. I wont be running through an amp (defeats the space reason for giving up the Flex3 XL).

Thanks,
                      Jason

Comment

They sound great through powered monitors - I've played my XT through KRK Rokits (5s I think) and it sounds good. Especially if you aren't looking to play at 'band' levels - just for practice. You'll have to retweak your settings though.

Pete

Comment

Got it - Thanks Pete! Those are the ones I'm looking at exactly. I like it loud, but at this point I'm not looking at band levels, but still sometimes I like some decent volume. Hopefully they'll cover.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

Those Bose things are a cool idea but I'm not a fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

To each his own.

I have three of the Bose PAS units and my band has never sounded better live. No you don't get the uber kool tone/feel like a tube amp but I have found little better for sounding good as a band live. BTW, we play mostly '80s hair metal stuff.

Comment

Working...
                            X