$800 high gain tube head??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: $800 high gain tube head??

Zeegs - also look out for a Rivera TBR-1 (SL or M). The kick ass. I used one for years. I keep contemplating picking one up again. I see them going for well under $800 these days.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

JSX.

I've owned a lot of the amps listed here (Mesa single recto, Mark III, .50s, 5150, Soldano HR50+, Yamaha T100, marshall 2203/2205/2210, JCM900s, etc...) and the JSX is better imho. Three channels, has a very useful clean channel, amber channel is JCM800 level of gain, and the ultra is more gain than you'll ever need. fx loop w/send AND return levels, ability to use 6L6 or EL34s, has a bias pot on the outside of the chassis along with test points on the back. Has a resonance control so you can add low end thump if necessary.

What else could ya want? Plus used they are in your price range.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Zeegs - also look out for a Rivera TBR-1 (SL or M). The kick ass. I used one for years. I keep contemplating picking one up again. I see them going for well under $800 these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

-1. I had one of these, couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Did the fender clean thing great, but the lead channel wasn't high enough gain for metal, and it was heavy as hell.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I had a HR50. It was fine. Not spectacular. A friend let me checkout a Marshall 1987x he was selling. I put the HR50 on Ebay the next day. The funny thing is I would run a Soldano Supercharger in front of that Marshall and it kicked the crap out of the HR50. And for cleaner tones and medium crunch the Marshall is way better.

A HR50 cannot do any channel switching. I believe the HR50+ does. The HR50 doesn't sound good until it is over halfway up.

So my vote is to get a single channel no master volume Marshall and stick a Soldano SuperCharger in front of it for "channel switching".

[/ QUOTE ]

HR50+ has channel switching, and mine sounded fine at lower volumes. I prefer the JSX I currently have though.

Pete

Comment

Can you get a JSX for under $800 ? If so, THat gets my vote too. They have great cleans/nice fat chunk/ killer lead tone. I hate the look of them but that should not be the deciding factor.... Unless of course you are looking at that new Ibanez head. I looked at the picture and it sounded great! (go to Ibanez amp thread if you don't get it)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I prefer the JSX I currently have though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't the JSX based on the XXX? I didn't like the XXX at all.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-1. I had one of these, couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Did the fender clean thing great, but the lead channel wasn't high enough gain for metal, and it was heavy as hell.

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one did you have? They did several versions. The one I owned had more than enough gain for metal. The band I was in at the time was playing tunes by Annihilator, Maiden, Queensryche, Metallica, etc.

- Newc

Comment

The sl is the higher gain of the two.

Comment

That is the one I had.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]
                      I prefer the JSX I currently have though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't the JSX based on the XXX? I didn't like the XXX at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't like the XXX either. The JSX is much smoother to my ear, and all three channels sound great.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one did you have? They did several versions. The one I owned had more than enough gain for metal. The band I was in at the time was playing tunes by Annihilator, Maiden, Queensryche, Metallica, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure - I ditched it pretty quick. I don't think it was an SL. The amp had lots of features, but just didn't do high gain at all. And it was heavy as hell! Built very tough though.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Can you get a JSX for under $800 ? If so, THat gets my vote too. They have great cleans/nice fat chunk/ killer lead tone. I hate the look of them but that should not be the deciding factor.... Unless of course you are looking at that new Ibanez head. I looked at the picture and it sounded great! (go to Ibanez amp thread if you don't get it)

[/ QUOTE ]

I paid less than $800 for mine - used of course. I wouldn't buy Peavey gear new on a bet! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

there are two JSX on ebay right now with a BIN of $859 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                            1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

The Carvin V3 is now available at carvin.com. Looks like the perfect tube head for $900.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                The Carvin V3 is now available at carvin.com. Looks like the perfect tube head for $900.

[/ QUOTE ]
                                i was thinking the same this afternoon. i wonder what it sounds like.
                                1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Working...
                                X