How similar are the Mark III & IV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How similar are the Mark III & IV?

So basically, I love the MKIV, but hate the pricetag. While it's not THAT expensive, I'm too young to have a job.

I don't care about versatility, clean channels, or shared EQ's. I just need that smooth, ballsy, crunchy metal tone heard on the Black Album, Skinlabs Disembody album, etc, etc.

Also, does anybody know how similar the Quad Preamp is to these? I've considered getting that and running it through my 5150's poweramp.

Re: How similar are the Mark III & IV?

For the tones you mentioned and the fact that you don't need a clean channel, versatility or a shared EQ I would say your 5150 is the perfect amp for you. Mark III's and MarkIV's are VERY difficult to dial in.

Comment

Well, I love the 5150 to death, but I'm looking for that Mesa tone, as well. I'd keep both amps around. I'm thinking either a Mark III, IV, or a Recto. I was also considering the V-Twin and Quad just to run through the poweramp.

I also don't mind taking time to dial in my tone, I just don't care much for cleans and mid gain tones.

Comment

if rectifiers are your idea of mesa tone then stay away from the mark series. they are not even close. i own a mark3 and it's killer. i've not had enough time with a mark4 to give a good judgement but the mark3 seemed more raw compared to the mark4 in my limited time comparing the two.
        1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

I've played both the MKIV and the Recto's extensively, and really love both, but I know how different they are. They'll both do for just having the versatility around. I think I'll end up going for a V-twin around X-mas time to try out, and if it doesn't work out, just sell it and save for the MKIII or a Single Rectoverb.

Comment

get a Mark III, you can't get black album tone with 5150.
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Well to put it dirsctly one's a 3 an the other is a 4??? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] just kidding saw this and had to be a butt-mesa's not my bag-Tony

Comment

damn Marshall fans

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Damn Soldano fans...

Comment

Hey! Whatt'd I do?? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Hey! Whatt'd I do?? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Youre just being you Chuck. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh...yeah, that'll do it alright! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I used to NAIL the Gary Moore "Corridoors of Power" tone with My MRK II...that's all I remember. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I used to a/b that amp with a 5150 right next to it!!
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Damn CAE fags...

Oh wait.... That's me... Sigh...

Comment

Black Album = Mark IV, period.
                              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Working...
                              X