• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How similar are the Mark III & IV?

[ QUOTE ]
    Black Album = Mark IV, period.

[/ QUOTE ]

with just the preamp going into a power amp.

Comment

Black Album=Mark IV, Mark IIC, a boatload of Marshall, ADA, Bogner, VHT, Vox, and other assorted amps, all tracked with multiple tracks at the same time.

Comment

The IV that I played through at a friend's house seemed a lot grainier than my III. What do I know, I prefer the studio.22+ over the IV or IIIs [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Black Album=Mark IV, Mark IIC, a boatload of Marshall, ADA, Bogner, VHT, Vox, and other assorted amps, all tracked with multiple tracks at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking about this thread and his choices.

I spent upwards of 500 hours researching Metallica gear on the Black Album alone, getting into contact with former roadies, anazlying video's and bootlegs, etc etc, it's become quite an extensive list. Soon I shall unveil its marvels to the world [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Please do, I wanna know [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

"Please do, I wanna know "
              indeed.

and btw, GoR, you're a freak [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Ward, what color where Lars' socks at the 1986 tour's 5th show?
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I was playing thru a MKIII blue stripe head (among other nice toys) Sunday night after a gig. Sounded very, very good. You can dial in Metallica-ish tones with it (smiley face EQ) and it sounds great. Way good for the money!
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

He seldomly wore socks during the MOP tour. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Or ordinary nike white sneakers with white socks.

Ultimate MOP tone from an Mk III would be the blue stripe, indeed, since it's the closest in leadchannelshaping to the IIC+. You could also have your Mk III modded into a + by MB.

Comment

my mark is a blue stripe [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] totally lucked out though. knew nothing of the whole stripe thing when i got it years ago. the mark3 sounds ok low but you gotta turn it up for the true effect. KABOOM!
                      1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

A MK IV has more knobs and switches, therefore it is the superior amplifier. I had an original MK I (before they called them MK). It was ok. Mostly it weighed a ton.

I'd like to mess around with a MK IV one of these days.
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Can a Rectifier do the MOP sound? I can get close with my Peavey Ultra and a Boss MT-2 pedal, just not nearly as thick. Jack.

Comment

So what is the deal with the blue, red, and purple stripe? Enlighten the unknowledgeable please.
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Do a search on google for the Mark seriesn you'll find:

http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/dot.html

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

And thank god I read over it again, because I made a mistake; the blue stripe has the IIC+-like poweramp, it's the Red stripe that has the IIC+ lead channel.

-----------

A rectifier could zoom in pretty close, as could any more expensive/boutique-ish amp, nailing it is a different thing though. To achieve such thickness, I'm going to experiment ( once I get an amp [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) with looping the signal upon itself in a live (i.o.w. non-album) setting. You could re-enact some of the studio 'layering'.

On Master Of Puppets you'll be hearing 5 and more rhythm tracks all played in seperatly and layered upon each other, copied, tweaked, layered again, etc, you get an exponential number of rhythmtracks and layers, which all adds to it. It wasn't until the Black Album that Bob Rock showed them you could EQ the sound a shitload, and achieve somewhat the same effect, eventhough I personally think a mixture of both (but still predominantly layering) would be key to achieving the ultimate godlike rhythm sound (which would be Master Of Puppets Ultra [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ).

Such concludes the monologue! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I've fallen too far in love with my 5150 to want another amp just yet, though. It's perfect for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X