what does an SLO cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what does an SLO cost?

Both new and used. Someone told me around $2500 for a new head.
    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Re: what does an SLO cost?

i found it on MF, $3145 ouch!!!

Comment

and used they go from $1900 to $2200

Comment

still ouch, LOL

Comment

could an SLO do like a thrash or death metal kind of sound? i have never heard one. i read the other day the mesa rectifiers are a ripoff of the SLO. that true?

Comment

If you're looking for Death/Thrash Go get an Old JCM 800 and a OD pedal. That'd save ya at least a Grand over the SLO

I've only played an SLO 1 time, With a Custom/Custom it was Heaven. It can do a lot, but I wouldn't buy one for just Death/thrash.
            I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              could an SLO do like a thrash or death metal kind of sound? i have never heard one. i read the other day the mesa rectifiers are a ripoff of the SLO. that true?

[/ QUOTE ]I haven't heard that about the Rectos, but the 5150 is a ripoff of the SLO100, at EVH's specific instructions. The 5150 is no SLO, but that's why it's once of the nicer bargain price amps.
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

What's funny is with my old 5150 the only sound I liked out of it was I was able to dial in a old school Thrash tone. Totally rocked on old testament, overkill and stuff
                I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  could an SLO do like a thrash or death metal kind of sound?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tommy Niemeyer from The Accused (a thrash / crossover band) used and SLO last time I saw them live, his tone was fucking crazy. They're just a one guitar band but he cut over everything. I think you could be able to pull off thrash without much trouble and probably the same with older death metal, but current day death metal? You'd probably be better off getting something like a Recto or 5150 or ENGL or Framus etc etc... How about a Bogner Uberschall doing death metal?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Rectifiers and the Peavey 5150 are both based heavily on the SLO, and yet neither really sounds like a SLO or like each other. A charitable person would probably claim that the descend from the SLO, like a SLO does from a Marshall 2203. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] In either case, don't expect a SLO to sound like a Rectifier, only better. They sound significantly different.

Comment

i don't know what they sound like. i just happened to read the comment on the M/B board the other day. that plus chuck's comments about the gain got me thinking it might be a good amp for my style.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Rectifiers and the Peavey 5150 are both based heavily on the SLO, and yet neither really sounds like a SLO or like each other. A charitable person would probably claim that the descend from the SLO, like a SLO does from a Marshall 2203. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] In either case, don't expect a SLO to sound like a Rectifier, only better. They sound significantly different.

[/ QUOTE ]

I once owned the HR50+ and my biggest mistake was selling that sucker, at the time i was into the moderm channel on my dual recto and nothing could compare to it. Then I musically matured and started only using vintage on my rec's and i realized for the tone i was using i could have easily got it with the HR. It did have great tone and at the time i had paid $700 for it and ended up selling it for $800, now they go for about a grand. I have never had the chance to play an actuall slo, but i would love to be able too, does anyone in the DC area own one that i can try out?

I also kick myself in the ass because i sold my triaxis cheap (4 years ago they were selling about $700 on ebay) because i was also looking for that moderm tone at the time and couldnt get it out of the triaxis. Now triaxis have gone way up in price for used ones and i am still thinking of getting one if the right price comes along.

Comment

If you want the SLO sound for less $, the HR's are definitely the way to go. They sound the closest to it of any amps I've played, which probably isn't suprising in the least!

We all have those kinds of stories about gear we sold. I still dearly miss my '79 Marshall 2203 head. I didn't realize how good of one it was until I decided I really wanted another and started looking for another (or at least I played it long enough that it had the sound I was after). Now the prices have gotten so high on these things that I've pretty much stopped even looking at them.

Comment

How about Avenger? I see one on Ebay now for very good price IMO.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              How about Avenger? I see one on Ebay now for very good price IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

and i wasnt too impressed with the avenger, if that is truly what a slo sounds like then i wouldnt want one. Maybe i should look around for a hotrod.

Comment

Working...
                              X