5150 has arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 5150 has arrived

When i bought my 5150 I got a set of JJ tubes from eurotubes.com go check them out. i love em.
    This space for rent

Comment

ok, i just recieved the tubes. i wasn't able to play loud (yet), but i already had the master at like 2 or something which is pretty fukkin loud for home use [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      so far i think that solved the problem. as far as i can tell from playing like 10 minutes there's a LOT more usable gain (e.g. with the old tubes with the pregain set to 6 on the lead channel it was completely unusable and fuzzy, now with the new tubes it's usable until like 6.5, although i'll never need this much gain [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ), overall more clarity, and less fuzz - actually there's hardly any fuzz at all. nice [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

i'll post a full review as soon as i took it to a rehearsal.
      i still have to experiment with the different tube combinations. atm i have a jj v1 selected in v1, a sed in v2, EH in v3, JJ in v5, EH balanced in v6.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

anyways, as the sovtek 5881 are one of the most crappy powertubes ever made (i had them in my old laney gh50L, HORRBILE...swapped them for some JJ EL34s, instant kickass sound)

[/ QUOTE ]

Despite what you may think, Sovtek 5881s are actually well made tubes that can sound great in the right amp. Power tubes are just part of the equation, preamp/power amp design as well as preamp tubes all play a part in shaping your sound.

Comment

Working...
        X