Peavey Valve king amps any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Valve king amps any good?

Looking to go back to a tube amp for myself (home/hack player) with am eye on maybe my son wanting to "borrow" it for his band. Would it be loud enough to play live (he plays metal kinda cross between Pantera/slayer with a mix of that Yngwie guy craziness).

The Valve king 112 has good reviews (though could someone explain what A A/B means in a tube amp and what it does)? I was wondering what you guys thought of it. MF has them new for about $350 now, seems like a good price. also anyone know what footswitch to get for it?

I also was reading about an older Peavey amp called Prowler. Anyone know about them? they seem to go pretty cheap for used when you can find them. Same questions as a bove.

Thanks guys, one day soon I make up my mind and just buy something I guess...LOL.

Re: Peavey Valve king amps any good?

o don't know, but the 100 watt head version of the valve king is only 479. i may get one for that price.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I have seen a few problems with em on the Peavey Amp forum, all in all pretty positive, everyone seems to be looking for a better speaker for the combos, I think I'll wait a year or so and see what happens as far as working out the bugs and overall reliability, and maybe buy one then.
      BTW the valve king is actually based on the Prowlers design, but they then added the A/AB circuit switch, Prowlers are kick ass amps, I would rather have an old prowler instead of the new amp .
      I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

I tried a 1x12 Valve King combo and used to own a Prowler. My impression was that the two sounded very similar (going by faded memory, so take that with a grain of salt...). the Prowlers were still made in the US IIRC and are usually pretty cheap last time I noticed.

Comment

Working...
        X