• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parametric EQ, BBE reviews

Here are the 3 I checked out:
    TC Electronics TC-1140
    Behringer PEQ2200
    PreSonus EQ3B
    I brought my rack to GC to check them out. I made an appointment ahead of time and they were very cool to let me check them out.
    As I mentioned in an earlier thread... when my pedal board is inserted between the SP77 and the T100 I get a tiny loss of high frequency clarity that I can't dial back in with a conventional graphic EQ.
    All 3 units did the job perfectly. I only need to mess with one frequency in the high-mid range.
    One thing I noticed about parametric EQ's. They can REALLY mess up your sound. The wrong adjustments can kill your sound. The nice thing about the Behringer was that you could switch off the bands you don't need to mess with. It also has a hard bypass switch which basically connects the input to the output jack so you can compare your sound.
    The TC Electronics unit looked better built for sure but for what I need to adjust, It didn't do any better. It was actually harder to use because I couldn't switch off the bands like the Behringer. It too has a true bypass feature.
    The PreSonus again worked perfectly for my application. Its not like I am totally shaping my guitar tone. I am just dialing in some missing mid highs.
    While I was there I checked out a BBE 362 and a 422 with my rig. They sounded identical. There was absolutely no difference between the 2 of them. I went up online and downloaded the specs for each when I got home. The specifications are EXACTLY the same. No difference at all. Both units made my rig sparkle. I am fairly familiar with BBE's. They basically give you MORE of everything. Some people say they add a degree of processed sound to your guitar tone. I don't agree. If anything, the BBE effected what the speakers sounded like. They sounded clearer with more punch, clarity and presence. Tighter.
    I am sure the TC is better than the Behringer if you really need to make alot of extremely specific changes to your live guitar sound. I think its better suited for high end studio use. The Behringer or the PreSonus on the other hand is most likely substandard for pro studio use but for a live guitar rig its more than sufficient. Regarding BBE's. There are many models ranging from $50.00 used up to $250.00 for a new 482i. They all do basically the same thing. Especially the 362, 402, 422, 422A. Some have stereo controls, some have shared controls but basically they sound the same. Again, for high end pro studio work I would go with the 482i but if you are looking to add some sparkle and presence to your live guitar sound and only want 2 knobs to mess with, the 362 or 422 work great. Its almost like lifting a blanket off of your speaker cabinet.. even if it didn't sound like it had one on it before.
    Keep in mind though.... if your amp sounds like canned ass... neither of these items will help you out. You really need to start with a good to great amp tone. My rig sounds really good with nothing. They are not a fix for a crappy amp sound.

Re: Parametric EQ, BBE reviews

So what EQ are you buying?
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Parametrics are not a magic pill, You really have to play with parametrics a lot. You have to have them a while and tweak them to find the true amazing functionality they provide. Playing with one in a store isnt much use.

They are truly capable of EXTREME total crap, and capable of magic. I had my Furman dialed in and thought it was great, but I wanted a "TC". I finally bought the TC-1140 and was immediately NOT impressed after a day or and pulled it out of the rack and stared at it. It was complex, and hard to get setup right. After a month or so, I got bored and spent some time with it, and NOW it is back in the rack and I it kills the Furman in most ways.

It takes time, patience, and many trips back to the rack after resting your ears. You will lose perspective quick with these things I assure you. But what they can do to your tone is nothing short of amazing.

Dooooode... I have OWNED the Behringer. It is truly a tone sucking piece of crap. I swear. Just having it the signal path was noticeable, and it wasn't just me. Even BillZ said "that thing is a tone coffin."

For 99 bucks, I wish it was cool, but it isn't. It's pretty, but it is crap. I swear, haha....

Find a cheap Furman on the bay, and just let it soak in.
      It might take a bit to find yourself, but in the end, you won't be dissapointed, I assure you.

If you couldn't hear the difference between a 422 and a 362, something was wrong somewhere. I've owned both for long periods (still have a 422) and they are both very different. The 362 has considerably more sizzle and probably more fidelity actually. They are different software version and act differently. A conversation with a tech at BBE confirmed my opinion that the 422 was more suited to guitar and the 362 was more designed with PA work in mind.

John, these are things you really have to work with to get them tweaked. Far from plug and play. One thing I have learned with this sort of equipment, is that patience and a discerning ear is a virtue. Play a while, take a break, rest your ears, come back later. Find a furman, haha..

Comment

I'm probably confused, but...if you are looking to add an EQ because your pedalboard is sucking highs out (and they will), then shouldn't you be lookin at a rackmount multieffect like the Intellifex or whatever? Wouldn't that kill two birds with one stone*?

*Apologies to bird lovers everywhere...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I'm probably confused, but...if you are looking to add an EQ because your pedalboard is sucking highs out (and they will), then shouldn't you be lookin at a rackmount multieffect like the Intellifex or whatever? Wouldn't that kill two birds with one stone*?

The only effect that would kill 2 birds with one stone would be the G-Major. I would rather have an Intellifex but I don't believe I can get solo boost with an Intellifex. That would mean adding a pedal for boost which defeats the purpose of having one.

*Apologies to bird lovers everywhere...

[/ QUOTE ]

Regarding the difference between the 362 and the 422. I couldn't hear any difference but by the time I started messing with the BBE's my ears were fairly blistered.
          I just sold my 422A when I had to sell my 5150 signature head. I should have kept that damn thing. I am getting the 422 or the 422A even if I don't need it.
          Regarding what EQ I will buy... I am going to look for a used TC-1140. Why?? Because I know its a top rated parametric and I can also use it in my home studio. They aren't that expensive used. I did read about a Rane eq that was supposed to be pretty good.

Comment

Yeah, Rane is great high end stuff. I think it is more PA/Recording oriented.

I don't think ya need a BBE at all bro. For a 5150, yes, they are awesome. For a high end amp like you are doing now, tone sucking... I have one gathering dust on the shelf, if that tells ya anything. And I try it out here and there to make sure I'm right, and it goes back to the shelf. hehe...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Yeah, Rane is great high end stuff. I think it is more PA/Recording oriented.

I don't think ya need a BBE at all bro. For a 5150, yes, they are awesome. For a high end amp like you are doing now, tone sucking... I have one gathering dust on the shelf, if that tells ya anything. And I try it out here and there to make sure I'm right, and it goes back to the shelf. hehe...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't need the BBE for my amp rig. I tried it with my rig for the heck of it. I want one for my home studio for mix downs. I am not jumping into anything this time. My sound is good, I know what I need to make it perfect. I'll shop intil I find the TC or another high end parametric. Regarding effects.. it will be either the G-Major or an Intellifex.

Comment

Cool.

Are you mixing on a computer? I was using a BBE software plugin on mine with Sonar, and it was excellent. The software was better than any outboard unit I tried. And cheaper!!

If you are using a BBE outboard unit for recording/mixing overall music, not just guitar, I'd go with the newest one you could get and not a 422. In that area, the news ones are better.

422 is sorta frequency limited in some software way, and work excellent for guitar, not quite so great for PA stuff, the 362 and later are better sounding for recording/PA work I have found.

Comment

John take a look at the Rocktron Replifex also. It's kind of a cross between the two you are looking at. Comes with a channel switching jack like the G-major does.
                  We must!
                  We must!
                  We must increase the bust!
                  The bigger the better!
                  The tighter the sweater!
                  The boys are counting on us!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Cool.

Are you mixing on a computer? I was using a BBE software plugin on mine with Sonar, and it was excellent. The software was better than any outboard unit I tried. And cheaper!!

If you are using a BBE outboard unit for recording/mixing overall music, not just guitar, I'd go with the newest one you could get and not a 422. In that area, the news ones are better.

422 is sorta frequency limited in some software way, and work excellent for guitar, not quite so great for PA stuff, the 362 and later are better sounding for recording/PA work I have found.

[/ QUOTE ]

I might even have a BBE plug in. Moshwitz sent me a ton of them!! Thanks for the advise. Cool.

Comment

Working...
                    X