Parametric EQ placement??? HELP...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parametric EQ placement??? HELP...

I have a Soldano SP77 preamp, a Carvin T100 power amp and a pedal board that is currently in between the poweramp and the preamp. Where do I put my newly purchased Rane SP15 Parametric EQ in the chain???

Re: Parametric EQ placement??? HELP...

I put mine after the pre amp, before the effects. If can go after the effects too, but I liked it better in front.
    ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

I would say after the effects...but try it both ways!

Comment

I do mine like Matts. Just seems to work. But all different equipment reacts differently to each other. Try both ways.

Comment

holy crap is this thing complicated. I am going to let me ears cool out for a while and go back to it tomorrow. Is there any suggested base settings?

Comment

I usually set the amp roughly where I like it, and that usually has mids boosted in the process of it.

Then I set the P-EQ all at neutral, Flat.

I start with a slight +3db, on the lows, set bandwidth fairly small, and sweep the freq while chugging the low end and look for what seem to be a pleasing area, than play with the width till it seems cool to the ear.

This control will give you better control over the bass, where you can get authority and chunk, without mud or boom. You may even pull bass out of the amp and tweak more with the EQ

I usually take slight cut on the mids on the EQ (already boost it in the amp, Doing this seems to give me more control over the mids with the EQ), say -1, -2, and play around to taste...

If I want more edge without sizzle, I play with the upper freqs boosting about the same way as bass. If you have extra bands, you can work on edge, and remove sizzle with another band.

These things can be used VERY interactively. You can truly play for weeks and there is a learning curve.

How many bands is it?

Once you dial in something walk away for awhile, your ears get fatigued and you lose ALL perspective.

Comment

Typically i would say in front of the effects but there are no hard, fast rules here. You know what good tone is...let your ears do the work and will have made the right choice. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Exactly...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I usually set the amp roughly where I like it, and that usually has mids boosted in the process of it.

Then I set the P-EQ all at neutral, Flat.

I start with a slight +3db, on the lows, set bandwidth fairly small, and sweep the freq while chugging the low end and look for what seem to be a pleasing area, than play with the width till it seems cool to the ear.

This control will give you better control over the bass, where you can get authority and chunk, without mud or boom. You may even pull bass out of the amp and tweak more with the EQ

I usually take slight cut on the mids on the EQ (already boost it in the amp, Doing this seems to give me more control over the mids with the EQ), say -1, -2, and play around to taste...

If I want more edge without sizzle, I play with the upper freqs boosting about the same way as bass. If you have extra bands, you can work on edge, and remove sizzle with another band.

These things can be used VERY interactively. You can truly play for weeks and there is a learning curve.

How many bands is it?

Once you dial in something walk away for awhile, your ears get fatigued and you lose ALL perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a Rane SP-15. It has:
                  5 bands
                  Each band has a bypass switch on it.
                  Each band has a BW Oct, Level and Frequency control.
                  The bands are:
                  20hz-300hz with a pull shift on this band
                  60hz-1khz
                  150hz-2.5khz
                  450hz-8khz
                  1khz-20khz with a pull shift on this band
                  It also has a master level control, and a master bypass switch.

Comment

I'd actually recommend avoiding sweeping the eq the way cleveland metal suggested- that's what will destroy your perspective. It's better to A/B two states and compare them that way, as sweeping can desensitise you to the frequencies you're looking for and you'll end up chasing your tail...

Comment

This is not PA or recording parametric EQ-ing here where we are trying to flatten a curve or whatever typical thing you would do with a P-EQ. We're tone sculpting here to get something out of a guitar amp that it isn't displaying as it sits.

I generally chug the low E a bit as I sweep the lows till I get the low end tightness without boominess or flubbiness and adjust lows that I need from there. The freq you want will often jump out at you when you when you sweep across it.

You can't just guess, you have to sweep till you find the G-spot that works with that particular amp/guitar/speaker setup. It's not a guess, it's a "find what frequency actually works with this combination" thing. I couldn't even give my freqs as it wouldn't work for his rig.

Otherwise, you're shooting in the dark.

You could do well to A/B it of course afterwards... But really, if you find the frequencies that work, A/B isn't all so much needed IMO, just as long as you have found the magic.

You may find that pre-eq sounds like ass and it often will, but if post eq kicks ass, it has accomplished exactly the purpose. Sometimes it is best to send the EQ a VERY low Bass signal and boost the bass in the EQ to get a tighter crunch out of the amp. I have sometimes literally had to adjust the amps initial tone to sound actually quite crappy pre EQ, in order to pull a certain tones out of it with the eq. It's interesting how it works. But, it works. It can make a sedate amp sound like a monster.

This is a an interesting area and defies general EQ tactics.

Comment

Absolutely correct for this scenario.

You need to close your eyes, open your ears, and search for the sweet spot. Complicating matters is the fact that you may need to do this frequently with room changes and as tubes burn in (although you will already be very close...I'm talking very minor tweaks once you find your original spots).

Comment

I found the sweet spots!! They jumped out at me while I was sweeping the frequencies. I started off with a really good tone. Good enought to gig with and for me to be happy as a clam. Then I switched on the parametric eq and started with some base settings following John's advise. The sweet spots in the low and the hig frequencies were very obvious to me. The middle 3 bands were more tricky and barely needed anything. I got it to where it sounds incredible really incredible. I then took a break and went back to it with the EQ off. I played for a while and then turned the EQ on. YES!!! It sounds good. Really good. All I need is a good effects processor and I am good to go.

Comment

You realized something important that I failed to mention. The mids are far and away the "trickiest" to dial in and are frequently over adjusted. Very cool that this was obvious to you...this is where most people kill their tone with a parametric.

Comment

Whew... I'm glad you like it. After all my P-EQ rambling, I'd feel bad had you no been pleased, haha...

Comment

Working...
                              X