No announcement yet.

another speaker impedance question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another speaker impedance question....

let's say i want to run a head (2 speaker outs, 4,8, or 16 ohms...the usual stuff) through both a mesa recto oversize cab (8 ohms) and a marshall 1960A (4 or 16 ohms).
    how would i set the impedance on my head? i *think* that i'd run the marshall at 16 ohms and switch the head to 4 ohms (which would be the proper setting for two 8 ohm cabs), but i'm not sure. any info?

Re: another speaker impedance question....

that would work.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

You don't want to be mixing different impedence cabs. The cab with the lower impedence (I think) will draw a dis-proportionate amount of power. Not a good thing for your amp.

Comment

that's true about drawing different amounts of power. duh, i forgot that....let me rephrase my answer: it works on paper, but in reality you are better off rewiring one of your cabs to the proper ohm rating you need.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

well, i'm asking because i just recieved the technical data for one of our upcoming gigs, and it say that for guitars there'll be two recto oversize cabs and two marshall 1960 cabs. i don't know if it's gonna be mesa on one side marshall on the other, or if there will be one of each on both sides. in case they have both a mesa and a recto on my side i wanted to know if i'm safe setting the impedance the way i posted above. the other solution would be to use only one cab (likely the marshall, as v30 speakers don't sound as good to my ears as 75w celestions), but then again that's like driving a bike on only one wheel [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

they mainly use that as a standard back line because most metal bands use either marshall or mesa.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

nah...usually there's only one cab per side. i've seen all kinds of different combinations, from the abovementioned combo, over just marshall 1960 cabs, mesa, engl, behringer, laney, randall, 212 marshall, noname crap....basically the only thing i haven't played through (yet [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) is a bogner ubercab [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

well every year at BWBK's Six Pack weekend (2 days 10 bands) they have one marshall and one mesa cab on each side so that each band has their choice of using a marshall or mesa cab.

but reguardless. if its matched cabs on each side cut the impedence in half i.e. use 4 if 2 mesa's and 8 if 2 marshalls. and if its mixed then pick a cab and match it up.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

ok, thank you, sir. that's what i was afraid of [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                  i just wanted to know whether i could mix them or not. i know my lead guitar player will use both, cause he doesn't care (nor does he know jack) about impedances and stuff. i mean he's using patch cables to connect the cabs to his amp, so go figure [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Really, for one show it probably won't hurt a thing to mix them if you have to run both cabs.
                    I'd set the amp at 4 ohms and go to town.

Comment

Yeah, for one show that shouldn't be a problem. Mesa's manuals even say that using the 4 ohm out with an 8 and 16 ohm cab is a safe mismatch. Generally, it's safe to push uphil with impedance.

That said, you'll soon learn the ways of V30's with 5150's... I used to hate the V30, when I had my XXX, and now I love it with the 5150. Plus, those Recto cabinets will sound huge; fucking thunder and lightening!

Comment

mh....i don`t know about the 5150 (yet), but the marshall 2210 sounds best through the 1960A/B. period [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        when i still had my blackmore i thought it also sounded best through the 1960a/b, with the recto cab being a close second. seems like the pronounced mids the v30s have went very well with the mid scooped engl voicing.
                        i can`t quite see how the mid heavy 5150 could sound any good with v30s, though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

It sounds killer on the Kreator record you were asking about on Sneaps forum [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Comment

Working...
                          X