Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The stomp boxes are the problem!!

[ QUOTE ]
    there is really no need for a solo boost if you have good tone. period.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can 'good tone' make your guitar jump out for the solos and then duck back down under a vocalist? Someone could say the soundman should turn you up, but most bands don't have a dedicated soundman, and even if you do - he'd better be really familiar with your set list and songs. Soundguys that I've had at gigs were more interested in drinking and chasing tail than making us sound good.

I set my guitar level how it needs to be, then set a footswitchable boost for solos and parts I want to jump out of the mix. I actually use one of the Line6 Pod XTL virtual stompboxes - the EQ/boost, and it works fine.

Pete

Comment

As a professional 'sound guy', I can tell ya that your sound quality is directly tied to the amount of cash YOU are paying THEM.

If they are hired by the house - you get a straight mix. The tech will work on the vocals and snare abit, but the guitar/key/bass are on their own level-wise.

If you do original material, the tech prolly isn't familiar with it. And prolly isn't getting paid enough to care beyond that straight mix.

You need to control all your levels from the stage, unless you have a tech who knows your stuff (and their stuff as well!).
      750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
      Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Sound guy?? GET HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I've found that if I use my solo boost, I'd get just what John said... the sound guy would turn me down. You have to remember (and I'm sure you guys know this), you are at the mercy of the soundguy. Piss him off, and you're screwed. I always make it a point to go up to him afterwards and throw a few compliments (even if the sound isn't that great). In the long run, it seems to pay off.

Of course that only goes for playing "real" places (IROCK, Harpos, Hayloft, etc...). For parties or when we would do our own sound, I would naturally use a solo boost.

I've got to say something here, and I am NOT trying to be a jerk, and I'm all for good gear discussion. What's with all the obsessive worry over your sound? You will drive yourself absolutely nuts and spend alot of cash chasing something when the answer is simple... your hands. I'm sure your setup sounds great as it is. Use it the way it is and maybe spend your time working on dynamics or something rather than buying crap that probably won't make you happy anyway. I've never heard you play live, but you're probably as good or better than most of the other players in your area.

I don't have much talent, and used to blame the fact that I wasn't getting what I wanted out of the guitar on my gear. I've found that a good guitar player will make anything sound good. Skill, Conviction, and confidence come through no matter what you are playing through.

My nephew has a SS Crate combo amp and when I let him play through my Recto + 4x12 (which is pro gear... stop snickering), it sounds the same.

Stop worry about gear and just play. You'll be happier in the long run.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            My nephew has a SS Crate combo amp and when I let him play through my Recto + 4x12 (which is pro gear... stop snickering), it sounds the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he might sound the same through both rigs. BUT, I bet "you" make use of the improvement in equipment quality. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Conversely, I sound like me through his stuff... until the buzziness gets on my nerves [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

As for sound guys, you guys must really get the shaft if you're that negative about it. Every time I've played out, within a few notes of the solo, the sound guy will turn it up. Are any of you familiar with Harpos in Detroit? My old band played there twice opening for OTEP and again for Overkill. We were a nothing local band, second on the bill, and both times the sound guy cranked my solos... almost to the point where I thought it was too loud (gotta hide my mistakes in the mix you know [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]). The IROCK is another club here in Detroit. Small, and you play for free, pay for your beer, etc... and the sound guy always took care of us... Even when I played there a couple of weeks ago with my nephews, same deal. Listening back to the recording, he was always boosting solos, or any "main" part of the song.

If you guys are local and looking to play Detroit, I have to recommend the IROCK BTW. Lots of nationals play there and they are committed to Metal/Rock. The owners are in their early 40's, play in bands themselves, and dig metal.

I don't want to steal this thread but the point I was trying to make is that JG has great, pro gear. He's good, it will sound good, and not only that, it will sound good to the audience. What's the problem? I don't know... I'm not a tweaker and prefer to plug in and go. Maybe I don't understand the mindset. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Ehh, I understand what you mean. The audience really won't notice you have bought the newest doodad or whatever, I know that.

But after talking to a lot of audience members, they do know when things just seem better. And they don't know what it is. They just like the band better. But, they couldn't tell you why.

I've had girls that had no idea what was up, say to me that I had the greatest "sounding" guitar they'd heard, "Like the record", etc. So, that means a bit to me.

I'll keep tweaking, even if for the most part, it is for my ears only, haha...

Comment

I get that "it sounds like the record" comment alot when I use my GT-6 live.

Comment

Is that the canned ass GT-6? heehee

Comment

Everything is canned ass compared to my Soldano.

Comment

Soldano is canned ass compared to my bogner.. Hahahahah [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Fong

Comment

Hahaha...

Wish they made a (new) Bogner Preamp... Uber-preamp... That would be cool.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Soldano is canned ass compared to my bogner.. Hahahahah [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Fong

[/ QUOTE ]

Touche' bro... [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I beg to differ. I A/B'd my SLO with a 101B that was fresh back from Bogner, with any latest updates, both through my 65 loaded cabs.
                              My SLO slayed it. Even the Bogner owner agreed.

So...there! [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

My Acoustic 150 head would crush all of your sissy rigs. That amp is painfully loud on 3. If I dime that thing your wussy Bogners and Soldanos would run home to daddy like the little bitches they are. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                                X