Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All tube: 15 watts vs 30 (with extension sockets)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All tube: 15 watts vs 30 (with extension sockets)

Right now I have a Laney AOR 30 watts which I use with a POD in its effects return. I just got a band together (kinda...) and we have to rehearse at uni (half an hour by bus). Obviously, carrying my amp is out of the question (I'm the drummer for it by the way). One of the guitarists goes by car so he has his gear but the other one doesn't. It's been a while since I was thinking of downgrading my gear and since I live closer to the uni than the second guitarist, I was thinking of getting an amp smaller in size and wattage, but that'd be loud enough for standard practicing sessions and small gigging (pub size). I was wondering if 15 watts would be enough? The Laney LC15R can be had at a GREAT prize, is very small, and sounds great. It also has a speaker extension socket. But would it do slightly bigger venues as well?

Basically here's what I can do:
    Sell the POD and Laney AOR, get a Line 6 Uber metal and a LC15R. I'll then have a simple, effective rig with quality things, and the Laney LC15 would be much easier to carry to uni (though still a pain I admit :P)
    Or just keep the AOR, retube it, use it like a JCM800 with a boost in front and try and find my tone, and find another solution for the university rehearsal problems (which probably won't happen as Liam only has one amp, a 50 watts Spider II and as such can't really move it around).
    If the LC15 is loud enough for bigger venues with a 2X12, I may invest in one. If I sell the POD and the big Laney, I could get around 200 to 250 for both. That'd be enough for the smaller Laney and the Uber metal. I'd have great blues and clean tones, an effects loop, Reverb, speaker extension socket... The amp itself can be had for less than 200, the pedal for about 50 pounds I think.
    Would it be worth it at all? I'd have a much simpler, less problematic rig, but still the same polyvalence (I never use the effects on the POD, and only about 5 or so amp models).
    Thanks for any other suggestions you may have.
    PS: I like tube because they're not much heavier than an equivalent (in physical volume) SS amp, and are way louder.

Re: All tube: 15 watts vs 30 (with extension sockets)

i wouldn't want to play with a drummer with under 30 watts - thats for sure.

i'd get a 1x12 line 6 combo personally. versitiliy and carry-ability. hehheh. even if its more wats than you need. the line 6 stuff sounds good at any volume.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Re: All tube: 15 watts vs 30 (with extension sockets)

I don't like them too well, and the 1X12 is way too big to carry around. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: All tube: 15 watts vs 30 (with extension socke

I've got a Fender Pro Junior it's 15 watts and is loud enough for practice and small places. Its a tube amp and class A only one 10" speaker.

Comment

Then I think I'll sell the AOR. It needs a retubing anyway... so it's the best thing to do. You guys think I could get 150 pounds for it?

Comment

NNNOOO!

Keep the Laney and grow some muscles LOL!

Here is the deal. If you want lightweight you really shouldn't be looking at tube amps. They have transformers and chokes that add to the weight. BUT, Solid State stuff gives crappy performance (headroom) compared to tubes. To compromise, I think you should look for something Solid State, in the 50 watt range (more power to make up for the lack of tubes) if you want similar performance as your AOR. You could probably get by with less, however.

Your Laney has a sealed 1x12 cabinet - helps in the low end but you can get more sound out of an open back (like the Blues Jr. - but don't think you will get a huge bass responce out of it).

Also remember, speakers are what make the sound. Bigger or more speakers = more sound. You can get by with less power if you have more speakers. If you want a Fender, at least go with the Blues Jr because it has a 12" speaker. And neither of these are class A. There are a push/pull circuit biased at class A/B.

Keep that Laney AOR30. I'd love to trade you my AOR 50 combo (REAL heavy) for you AOR 30 combo, but I'm here and you are there. I think someday these Laneys will be the hot ticket - keep it for an investment.

Comment

Eh... I played it again without the POD today. It's noisy as fuck!!! It's truly unplayable at the highest gain settings. It needs new tubes badly and it's an investment I'm not sure is totally worth it for now. I mean I wouldn't even be the one playing it live... And for it I wouldn't just need muscles, but another dude to carry it. It's also a big amp [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
              I used to have Peavey Envoy (great little amp) but I sold it two weeks ago. It too was too heavy to carry for such a long distance.
              Maybe that AOR is a great amp, but without the new tubes, it won't/doesn't sound great. If I retube it, it'll cost me 100 pounds (plus possible rebiasing [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ), and it won't be go into the resale value of it should I not want it anymore. If I got the smaller one, the cost would be covered in great part by the Laney's sale and it'd be easy to carry, still great sounding, and just easier to use (clean channel, Distortion pedal or POD with footswitch).
              Basically, I can keep the big Laney, not be able to bring it to rehearsals, and take the risk of not liking it with new tubes (small risk I give you!), or I can get the small Laney, it'll make life easier, I know it sounds great, it's easy to upgrade, not too expensive...You see what I mean hehe... basically it's sound vs comfort.
              I got the Laney hoping it'd have the JCM800 like sound with a boost (a la Zakk Wylde) but so far it hasn't lived up to it. If with new tubes and a better boost it won't do it, then it'd really be pointless to keep it.
              Maybe I should get the small Laney anyway first, and then see how I like the big one once I am ready to retube. I always wanted a small Bluesy amp anyway muaha [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              Thanks for the tips though. I have the money so... eh why not... I'll give one a better try and see if it's worth it. But I don't want/can't afford a Fender. Those Laney LC15Rs sound just as good and are twice cheaper! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Sorry to here. I guess I just remember when I heard a Laney AOR 30 1x12 the first time (it was new back then). I just remember it being a kick-ass combo amp.

Comment

Working...
                X