Marshall Cabs, whats the big deal....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Cabs, whats the big deal....

You know i hear people bitch and moan how the newer 1960 cabs have the particle board back, well i got news, i have a 1978 cab and a JCM800 cab and they both have particle board backs as well. Yeah i can tell the build quality of the cab is a tad bit better, but not all that much.... And holy shit big different in the way greenbacks from 78 sounded compared to todays greenbacks.

Re: Marshall Cabs, whats the big deal....

The speakers, and the look. They haven't used Plywood backs since around 1971-72. But, I prefer the older ones, that's all I've got anymore.

Comment

Plywood backs do sound subtly better.

Comment

I have my brothers JCM900 Slant 4-12 temporarily with I'm assuming GT12's in it. I have been messing with it with my XTC...I have a Bogner Top and Bottom 4-12 Top (V30's) Bottom (CL80's) that I normally use....I gotta say the Marshall cab pretty much kicks some ass...it's not THAT far from the Bogners.

Comment

Tooling, I've got both, Bogner, and Marshall 4x12's, and you've got it backwards, Bogner isn't that far from Marshalls... Your bogner cab, is modeled after a 1968 Marshall cabinet. I've got some old Greenbacks in my Bogner 4x12, and I took that batting out of it, and it sounds pretty much Identical to my Old Marshalls.

Comment

I did know the Bogners were modeled after the OLD Marshall cabs, I didn't know what year etc.....I was just pleasently surprised at how good the modern Marshall JCM 900 cab sounds. What characteristics would you say removing the batting from the Bogner cabs bring out...the Bogner cabs have this certain ,"bounce" or "looseness in a good way" to them...I really like them, they are very lively sounding if that makes sense.

Comment

I have 2 bx re-issues straight,1978 straight,1976 straight and a jcm900 slant and I love them all

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I did know the Bogners were modeled after the OLD Marshall cabs, I didn't know what year etc.....I was just pleasently surprised at how good the modern Marshall JCM 900 cab sounds. What characteristics would you say removing the batting from the Bogner cabs bring out...the Bogner cabs have this certain ,"bounce" or "looseness in a good way" to them...I really like them, they are very lively sounding if that makes sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I took the batting out, because my XTC seemed a bit muffled in the Bogner cab, and didn't seem that way with the same settings with my 74 Marshall cab. I took out the batting, and it made it sound a lot less muffled. With the bogner cab, I had my presence almost maxed, after the batting, I run them around 1:00-2:00.

Comment

I run my presence at about 2:30-3:00..I'll try it out, hell you can put it back if desired.

Comment

I have two Marshall 1960A Cabinets
                    One is 1981 with 30w Celestions
                    And the other is 1974 25w Celestions
                    Both of these Cabinets are Amazing!!!
                    And have that Marshall "thump"
                    I wouldn't use any other Cabinets...........ever
                    Thats the Big Deal to me

Comment

I was thinking of picking up a 1960 cab. Which one do you reccomend for old speed metal and the like? mostly for Slayer and old Metallica stuff. Thanks-Jack.

Comment

Anything with 75's in it.

Comment

That is what I was thinking Chuck. I definitely want the English made ones. Are the 75`s better for my sounds than the Classic Lead 80`s? Thanks-Jack.

Comment

Couldn't say!

Comment

I've got a JCM 800 with Celestion 65 watters and have had many other Marshalls, older and newer but that one is a keeper.

Comment

Working...
                              X