Marshall, more surprises.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall, more surprises.

So i basically spent the day today doing guitar amp maintance and routining.

First thing i did was decided to get my 1982 JCM800 2204 ready for sale, i took pictures etc.. And to my surprise i figured i would check the bias, and it is reading 10MA's, sure enough some idiot put in EL34's without doing the mod, I couldnt get it up past 15MA's. Lucky I had a brand new pair of Tung-SOL 6550's, so i threw them in and biased them at 45MA's and that amps sounds so damn good i almost dont want to sell her. But at the same time i took my 1984 2204 and put in a brand new pair of groove tubes and biased it at 45MA's and that amps sounds just as good... That takes care of these two amps.

Then i grab the 1977 JMP 2203 and unwrap the tubes and throw them in, of course the guy had mismatched tubes, he purchased the tong-sol's that are now in the JCM800 and included them with the amp, he did this because he was only running it at half power with two jan-phillips tubes, so i put the tubes in and flick the switch and no glowing red light. So now i figured i am screwed, couldnt remember how the damn switch worked so i had to look at another marshall amp, anyway finally realize the bulb is burnt out but the amp still works fine.

So anyway of course the tubes are highly mismatched, the tong's are reading 49MA's while the Jan's are reading 32MA's, so anyway knowing that neither one was pulling to much current i knew i could play it for awhile. Even with mismatched tubes, old preamp tubes this amp sounded killer! I cant wait to get some good 6550's in, anyone have a good recommadation? Anyway i put the amp aside and wont play it again till i get some new tubes in there.

Now on to cabinets, the 1978 i got in i knew i needed to replace one of the speakers, it had Three 16 ohm blackbacks and one 8 ohm blackback, i took the 8 ohm out and replaced it with a 16 ohm hellatone 30 watter.

But i open it up and holy shit, some idiot wired it like a retard, it wasnt even properly wired for 16 ohm and someone just twisted wires around the posts with this huge ass monster cable wire. So i took my time, wired it up nicley, soldered everything nice and the cab is sounding awesome now. Like i said before, i never realized how much different greenbacks from then sounded compared to todays greenback.

Now i just have to pull the V30's out of my JCM800 cab and put back in the 75's, now that i got rid of my 1936 cab i need one with 75's and since i have my mesa traditional with V30s i am set there. I also know the cab is missing some screws that hold on the front part that holds the speakers so off to home depot to get some.

Oh i didnt tell you guys, i took my 1936 cabinet and traded it for that ferrington by kramer explorer accoustic i posted about a few weeks ago. I have a feeling this one is a different one because of a few things, either way i am happy with it and it sounds great.....

Re: Marshall, more surprises.

Cool busy day!
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

The Tung Sol and the SED 6550's are the best as far as new production goes.
      We must!
      We must!
      We must increase the bust!
      The bigger the better!
      The tighter the sweater!
      The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Check out the JJ tubes. www.eurotubes.com www.dougstubes.com Both great guys and great prices.

Comment

Are you sure you want to go with 6550's? IMHO, EL34's are SO much better in a Marshall, I really don't like 6550's in them at all.

Comment

I dont know if JJ makes a 6550 but if you change the screen resistor you can put kt88 in that baby. Thats what I did on my 50 watter and the lowend is incredible.

Comment

Yeah, I got JJ KT88s from parntz and my Marshall just rocks!
              Well maybe the Soldano cab helps too! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Are you sure you want to go with 6550's? IMHO, EL34's are SO much better in a Marshall, I really don't like 6550's in them at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think i actually like the 6550's better, more bottem end and there is still plenty of that marshall midrange honk. To me a marshall with 6550's is a mix between a marshall and a fender which is great. I also have my 6100 with EL34's if i am in the mood for them. Oh yeah i put new tubes in that today too and biased it, another marshall i forgot about, it was just a marshall type day today.

Bob at euro is saying KT66's, but it is really expensive, i guess KT66's are about the same as 6550's. I might just stay with tong-sol or maybe just all grove tubes.

Comment

You might also look into some of the newer 6CA7's, aren't they supposed to be similar to a cross between the EL34's and 6L6's?

Comment

The max plate dissapation on 66's is a lot lower. 25 watts.
                    We must!
                    We must!
                    We must increase the bust!
                    The bigger the better!
                    The tighter the sweater!
                    The boys are counting on us!

Comment

my son just informed me he was looking

for a JCM800.

I told him I ain't spending that much for Christmas, but if he pools his mom's money and mine along with some of his, maybe he could get lucky.

I do worry that he is young, 15 and has no experience with tube amps at all. SO maintenance is a conrern for me (for him). My only experience with tubes was a late '60's Super reverb I got when I was about 19. had it like 10-12 years and never did anything to it...shutters. So I am a little worried about him investing in an older tube head, with the potential problems that could arise.

If you are selling I would be interested in seeing how much, however if your seeling it in the classifieds here, I am out of luck.

Comment

Re: my son just informed me he was looking

Well. Generally just tubes. They were built to last. Cold solder joints might be an issue.... Scratchy pots.... Dirty jacks... Warn out jacks... If you find one in good shape it will probably last a long time still...

Ask the right questions when buying the amp.

Was it used regularly?

Any mods done?

Was it ever repaired or serviced?

Comment

well, i don't think tube amps need a lot of maintenance. just don't throw it out of a window (i.e. be careful when moving it, esp. if the tubes are still hot from use) and replace the tubes when they start to sound bad, and you're fine imho. i've never had a problem with dirty or worn out jacks (and all my amps are from evilbay = used), although sometimes the pots tend to be a bit scratchy...no big deal IMHO.
                          however, i think it's a good idea to have a tech look at it if you want to buy an old amp.
                          other than that, firebird has the most important issues covered. ask about possible mods, how old the tubes are, if there were any repairs other than tube changes and biasing etc

good luck!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            for a JCM800.

I told him I ain't spending that much for Christmas, but if he pools his mom's money and mine along with some of his, maybe he could get lucky.

I do worry that he is young, 15 and has no experience with tube amps at all. SO maintenance is a conrern for me (for him). My only experience with tubes was a late '60's Super reverb I got when I was about 19. had it like 10-12 years and never did anything to it...shutters. So I am a little worried about him investing in an older tube head, with the potential problems that could arise.

If you are selling I would be interested in seeing how much, however if your seeling it in the classifieds here, I am out of luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am selling, so you can shoot me a PM and i will send you some pic's.

Comment

Working...
                            X