Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im a slut and I've got issues....this weeks rig.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im a slut and I've got issues....this weeks rig.

For the first time ever real guitar GAS is not an issue...

Amps however are an issue. In my quest for tone, I've figured out it's going to take a two head approach. I've now got the first cog in that machine taken care of, at least for now [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

This set up just kills :

GMW hardtail > cord > VHT Deliverance 60 > Bogner O/S 2x12 w/ Greenbacks

A one pickup guitar into a single channel amp with no loop, no effects no nuthin '...just awesome [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Pretty much any tone you can imagine lurks in this head - and yeah it will do metal with no pedals, no problem.

Of the just out of control number of insane amps I've owned, this is right up there with the best and may even be a keeper....

Steve E

Re: Im a slut and I\'ve got issues....this weeks rig.

Heh...Steve has A.A.S. (Amplifier Aquisation Syndrome)! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

"...and may even be a keeper...."

Ohhh...that's rich! Keep 'em coming, Stevie Baby! [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Heh...Steve has A.A.S. (Amplifier Aquisation Syndrome)! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

"...and may even be a keeper...."

Ohhh...that's rich! Keep 'em coming, Stevie Baby! [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chuck -

Actually it's right in line with our previous heckling session [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Your advice was spot on - and in the end this was only a bit more than the Marshall I was considering...part two is still going to be either a Twin or a Deluxe Reverb, maybe an AC30 type of thing...This is waaaay closer to what I've been looking for and the first amp in along time I wasn't second guessing after a half hour of playing it...

The KT88's in this are killer [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Steve E

Comment

Nice setup Steve!
        How do you like the GMW?
        [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Nice setup Steve!
          How do you like the GMW?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Toru !

The GMW is just awesome. It's got a route for a neck pup under the guard, I may add another one in there - but the SD 59' in the bridge is great.

Knowing you're a confirmed VHT junkie - I'll say of all the VHT's I've played and the Super 30 I owned, this is far and away the best. The drive tones are on par with any Bogner - but has the teeth the XTC's lack. Also - the cleans that can be dialed up are just spanking smooth. No OD pedals needed with this at all, unless you wanted to run it with the drive backed off and added something for a 2 channel type of setup. I've got a Fulltone OCD but have not bothered to hook it up.

Steve E

Comment

Also - FWIW, the GMW is a "pre Fender cease and desist..."

Steve E

Comment

Steve, we are on the same page again...my next amp will be something for cleans - I'm thinking AC30 - and run a head switcher...great minds think alike!
              Nice amp...high praise coming from you is something I don't take lightly. I trust your judgement!

Comment

Very nice!
                I've got a Bogner 4x12 cab on the way [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] and rect 4x12 cab here with me without amp head for almost a year [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I am still thinking of which amp to get besides the 5150 I am getting soon.
                Any suggetsions? Thinking of going back with Bogner XTC.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Very nice!
                  I've got a Bogner 4x12 cab on the way [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] and rect 4x12 cab here with me without amp head for almost a year [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  I am still thinking of which amp to get besides the 5150 I am getting soon.
                  Any suggetsions? Thinking of going back with Bogner XTC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Toru -

I'm liking the drive tones of this better than either channel of my old XTC 101b....that said - I was sorta gassing for an XTC again, but can't justify the cost since there's really only one channel I was using on the XTC, and the cleans were kind of miserable (at least to me..) I'm better off going with a two amp set up and will still be into it for lots less than a used XTC - with dare I say better tones. YMMV [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

For your situation - I would look at a Fender Tonemaster or Dual Showman head or something like that, just a big compliment to the things the 5150 won't / can't do. Also - the brand new AC30cc heads are only about $875 and sound just incredible...don't sweat that they're made in China, people are freaking on how good they sound. I'll have a Valvetech Hayseed 30 soon (AC30 clone)and will let you know how that turns out. Played a Fender Deluxe Reverb that just floored me too.

Yeah, I've got A.A.S [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Steve E

Comment

Fender Amp....
                    I actually like the darker clean sound that Bogner or VHT can get.
                    VHT has nice lead CH and I liked the tone of my old VHT Pittbull Classic but no matter what, I get bored with everything. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

So I'd probably need 3amps and 3cabs to be satisfied.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Fender Amp....
                      I actually like the darker clean sound that Bogner or VHT can get.
                      VHT has nice lead CH and I liked the tone of my old VHT Pittbull Classic but no matter what, I get bored with everything. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

So I'd probably need 3amps and 3cabs to be satisfied.

[/ QUOTE ]

No arguments here [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

There's a couple of great deals on mint Pitbull 45 heads over on The Gear Page classifieds....

Steve E

Comment

Nice set up there Steve, simple, effective and all so cool [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I hear ya on te XTC although I do like both Blue and Red channels, clean is adaquate and usable enough for me.

Yes Chuck, multiple amps for different voices are cool. I think its easier build a simple amp that does one thing great than it is to make one amp do 3 things just so so. Want Fender clean?, use a Fender for that, want melt your face off SLO lead tone?, use the SLO [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Toru, congrats on the Bogner 4x12, great cabs. Check out the Suhr CAE OD100, they have a 50 watt version too. I've heard great things about both the clean and the mean channels of them....btw...I saw your old Toru blue GMW on eBay
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

That VHT Deliverance head at NAMM lst year was flat out awesome. I can't wait to spend some time with one again.

Comment

Re: Im a slut and I\'ve got issues....this weeks ri

Damn... I REALLY need to go try out one of those Deliverance heads. Could you compare it, tonewise, under high-gain to a Recto or 5150?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Toru, congrats on the Bogner 4x12, great cabs. Check out the Suhr CAE OD100, they have a 50 watt version too. I've heard great things about both the clean and the mean channels of them....btw...I saw your old Toru blue GMW on eBay

[/ QUOTE ]

I did have a OD100 about 2 years ago.
                              It just didn't work out for me.
                              The lead Ch had tons of gain but still I hear this funny Fender clean type sound in it that I didn't dig.
                              I hear the same thing with Suhr pickups.
                              Sort of ringing sound.
                              I love thier Single coils though.

Toru Blue GMW.. Yea I see it but I am expecting my new GMW in Toru Blue..actualy updated better Toru Blue color I gave Lee a color sample.. we will see.. It wil be even nicer.

Comment

Working...
                              X