• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True-Bypass Truths and Myths

I found this on www.pedalsnake.com
    I've always felt that with BOSS Buffered Pedals I didn't
    lose any high end.
    Just wondering what you guys think about this?

"True bypass" means:

When a pedal is off, the pedal input and output are direct-wire connected, with no electronics involved.

This "truly" bypasses the pedal's internal circuitry, rather than just "turning off" the effect within the circuit, as is done by a "non-true-bypass" pedal.

It is ironic that "true bypass" has become a modern buzz word since the 1990's, because the 1st pedals ever made in the 1960s were true-bypass (even though they didn't call them that). But it was soon discovered that the 1st "true bypass" pedals could suffer high-end tone loss when too much cable was strung between the guitar, pedals, and amp.

The problem was cable capacitance. Guitar pickups don't drive capacitance well, but a buffer circuit drives capacitance fine (it has a lower output impedance than a pickup). So, the "always-on buffer" became one of the early innovations in the pedal industry. When you turn this type of pedal off, the circuit is still active ("dry" signal)--only the effect has just been removed. All the cable capacitance from that point on to the amp is driven just fine. Up to 50 feet or more!

Today, most pedals are still buffered, or non-true-bypass. So, why has true-bypass made a comeback lately?

"Super ear" players of the ax world claim to hear a difference between a true-bypass and buffered pedal. They say buffer circuits "color" their tone, so they use ALL true bypass pedals, and short, expensive cables to prevent tone loss. (But, true-bypass pedals act like a non-true-bypass pedal when on. An effect circuit must drive the line, which will still "color" tone.)

But there is a catch to using all true-bypass from the guirar pickup to the amp...cable capacitance adds up with cable length, no matter what cable you use. So, if you have all true-bypass pedals, and use:

20' cord from guitar to pedals
    10' of cable between your pedals
    20' cord from pedals to amp
    ...you will have 50-foot "cable" when all your pedals are off. This can cause high-end tone loss, no matter what cable you use.

So, it is always good to have at least one good, buffered pedal (like a tuner, or special "buffer" box) in your chain, whether you use PedalSnake or not. One good buffer in the "guitar pickup chain" will seldom be noticed, even by a "super ear".

At Stage Magic, we might add, we (and our ax buddies) have yet to see anyone tell the difference, in an BLINDFOLDED A/B test, between:

Guitar plugged directly into an amp with a good, short cable
    Guitar plugged into a chain of 3 (or less) good buffered pedals (like Boss)
    We use 3 pedals to make it a fair test, because any signal loss will add up the more pedals one uses (it would be easier to tell the difference if a chain of 20 buffered pedals were used).

But...we're all "old school" players. We played millions of loud rocknroll shows in the 70s and 80s through wide-open 100W Marshall stacks...so we may not have all of our hearing left. Still, we think it's fair to say that good buffered pedals do not affect tone to any noticeable degree for the vast majority of players, and certainly not for audiences.

Re: True-Bypass Truths and Myths

Mostly true. Depends on the amp.

True, most amps you wont hear the pedals, at least I never did. more trouble from cables than pedals. haha...

However, my CAE displays easily that there are pedals in the path. Unless they are very high end pedals. It loses a lot of frequency response.

Comment

I use Planet Waves Cables so no more Cable issues
      I even went to GC for the Custom Cable Station
      Solderless Cables for my Pedal Board
      Planet Waves are the best I've ever used
      So I hope no more Tone Loss
      Considereing I use 10 EFX on my Pedal Board

Comment

I agree. True bypass is mainly a myth in regards to good quality pedals. One exception is the GCB-95 Dunlop Crybaby. That pedal will suck some tone on some set ups.

Comment

Most pedals have decent buffers, but not all... The Vox wahs for example are notorious tone suckers without the true bypass mod.

Comment

You guys are right about the Wahs
            I own 2 Vox Wahs and booooy they suck tone big time!!!!!!
            This is why I switched to the BOSS V-Wah
            And Planet Waves Cables

Comment

A combination is best. Multiple true bypass will cause capacitance problems. Too many buffers will sound like crap too. It's good to use mostly true bypass and one or two buffered pedals. I try to not use anymore than 3 buffered pedals on my pedalboard.

Comment

A good buffer such as Axess Electronics BS2 works wonders. At $130 it's a very reasonable fix.

Comment

I second the Axess Electronics BS2. With it at the beginning of my effects chain the sound is fuller and warmer than without it. I can really tell on the distortion channels of my amps. It's harder to hear the difference clean.
                  I also have a custom Pedalsnake and it is a great product! It makes life much easier setting up and tearing down.

Comment

Working...
                  X