My valvestate half stack arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My valvestate half stack arrived

well my valvestate 8100 head and 4 x 12 cab arrived today...hmm it sounds good but different to the valvestate combo i've tried at my bandsoc practice room at uni - perhaps its where i'm at low volumes i'm not sure...i know it had been sitting at the old owners house for a while... it sounds almost kinda...muddy? compared to the other one which seemed brighter...perhaps it needs a new tube?...does anyone know which ones are used in the valvestate models? el34 rings a bell...

Re: My valvestate half stack arrived

i am pretty sure the valvestate only uses a preamp tube, so it would be a 12ax7, ecc83, 7025 or something like that.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      i am pretty sure the valvestate only uses a preamp tube, so it would be a 12ax7, ecc83, 7025 or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]
      Yeah, preamp tube only. I've got an old Valvestate 2x12 stereo chorus combo (8240) from the early '90s that I bought new, and it's still going strong, no need to change the preamp tube.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

oh u don't need to change a preamp tube?? how come?? i think it might sound like this coz it has been standing a while and at low volumes aai guess the valve doesn't get a chance to open up really...

Comment

Well, typically, preamp tubes can live for a very long time. You could try changing it with a new one to see if it gives you better results. I was just saying there was no need to change mine since it was still going strong all these years later.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It may sound "muddy" meaning deeper, because you're using a sealed-back 412 cabinet instead of an open-back combo like the other one. Also, you will lose apparent highs at low volume. How low are you playing it anyway?

If you do want to change the preamp tube, you'll have to pull the chassis out of the head. Unplug it first, of course! If it's been sitting, you may want to clean the pots and jacks with contact cleaner while you have it out for the tube change. Can't hurt and may help head off some problems.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

well its at bedroom level currently on just above volume 1 and yes i am using a sealed back 4 x 12 can i just take the back off if i want to?

Comment

You technically could, but cabs are designed around volume and pressure and whatnot, so when you take the back off, the cab is not going to be doing something it is designed for. However, having said that, I have seen people cut the back in half, and make the top half removable.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                X