Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tremolo vs Vibrato - amps and pedals

Ok, 'splain this to me.
    I know older amps had a Tremolo effect, and I know what they did and how they worked and all that, and I know they were also labeled as Vibrato, even though they did the same thing.
    So in pedals, such as a *Vibe (Roto/Uni/Mega/whatever), it's basically the same thing, right?

I understand the Rotovibe is based more on the Leslie rotating speaker cabinet where partially enclosed drums over the speakers rotated and had one opening to create a Doppler effect, and a straight-out Tremolo/Vibrato pedal is just volume swells and dips.

Just trying to get an idea of how to duplicate that effect using a Chorus/Flanger and Tremolo patch in my TSR-12, but since I've not had access to either pedal, I'm trying to get a detailed analysis of how the sound is constructed so I can mimic it without actually buying several different pedals [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Tremolo vs Vibrato - amps and pedals

Well I have a Roto Vibe and a Re-issue Uni-Vibe
    The whole effect is based kinda on a Leslie
    The Roto-Vibe has a setting for Tremolo only as well as the Chorus sound
    but the setting with the phase/chorus is where it comes alive

The Uni-Vibe was 1st used by Jimi Hendrix
    Machine Gun
    Star Spangled Banner
    Hey Baby, New Rising Sun

The Uni-Vibe sounds kinda like a heavy phaser very deep tho
    I have a MP3 around with Uni-Vibe all over it if you need a sample?

Comment

These are all different fundamental effects.

Tremolo is amplitude modulation, meaning the volume is varied. This effect is called Vibrato on Fender amps [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Vibrato is pitch modulation, meaning the pitch is varied. This device is called a Tremolo on Fender guitars [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks Leo!

Leslie/Roto-vibe/phaser effects are frequency modulation effects.

A Leslie is a doppler effect. It achieves frequency modulation by spinning a speaker or baffle such that the sound comes out of an opening periodically as the speaker/baffle rotates.

Roto-vibes and phasers basically try to achieve the doppler effect by sweeping the levels of certain frequencies. Most vibes have switchable pitch modulation as well.
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I know all about trembalos, and vibratos, and arpeggios ....
        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Tremolo is amplitude modulation, meaning the volume is varied. This effect is called Vibrato on Fender amps [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Vibrato is pitch modulation, meaning the pitch is varied. This device is called a Tremolo on Fender guitars [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
          LOL I always wondered how they got them mixed up, too. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thats the nice thing about plug-ins. You can get any effect you are looking for and add it to your recorded sound.

Comment

Yeah but that doesn't work for a live sound, JG [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And yeah, I never understood why tremolo in musical notation got confused with pitch modulation in guitar [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

hippietim 'splained it well

its also why a tremolo on a guitar produces sweet vibrato, and why the boss vb-2 vibrato is one of the best tremolo pedals I've heard [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] (there might be some pitch varience also though)

Comment

Working...
                X