re-tubed my head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re-tubed my head

I got a little love and attention for my Laney AOR100 head. The sound of the ElectroHarmonix EL34 tubes wasn't doing much for me, and a local tech was recommending the JJ E34L (not EL43). I had him plunk 'em in and bias the head, and it's definitely an improvement. The bottom end is better, and the highs aren't as piercing. The EHs always sounded a bit thin to me.

If you have a Laney head in need of output tubes, the JJS are good. I also liked the Winged C, but they didn't last long.

I was getting some excellent tone out of it at practice, and I wasn't even using any of my better preamp tubes. The only really interesting one I had was a Tung-Sol reisuue in V1. That might also be worth a look for some of you.

Re: re-tubed my head

Sounds good. I can't remember what's in my AOR 50 but it sounds good. I know they are some fashion of Groove Tubes that came with the amp.

Comment

dude, the 5150 i just retubed with SED 6l6 and several types of preamp tubes sounds and feels like a totally different amp when compared to the old peavey preamp and sovtek powertubes. especially when cranked, although the difference is quite obvious even at the lowest bedroom volume.

Comment

I have some Sovteks in mine, the ones it had when I bought it, 2 of which are moderately microphonic, and some 12AX7EH's in the preamp, and It sounds great as is.

Im sure it would be improved with new tubes, but even the sovteks worked nicely at the show I played at. I finally got a chance to crank it and play with it live, and I was totally floored by the quality of tones of this thing when its cranked. It was clear and defined, and the highs were not piercing, it sounded like everything I wanted my amp to be. Im so glad I got this thing, In fact, im selling my Peavey JSX, because I totally prefer my Laney.

Whats the sound differences between the JJs and Winged C's?

Is yours as noisy as mine? Would new caps help with that?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Whats the sound differences between the JJs and Winged C's?

Is yours as noisy as mine? Would new caps help with that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tonally, the JJs and Cs seem quite a bit alike. I'd say the Winged Cs probably have a bit more bottom end.

Mine is very noisy, too. I think somebody like Pete might be the better person to give advice because I really don't know what to do about it!

Comment

Another thing, you said you had yours biased.

Are these adjustable bias? I thought they were fixed.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Another thing, you said you had yours biased.

Are these adjustable bias? I thought they were fixed.

[/ QUOTE ]
              YOu can adjust the bias in just about every amp that isn't self-biasing. You definitely need to get the bias right on an AOR so that all the tubes are running at the same current. The term 'fixed biasing' is a little confusing... Aiken Amps has a good explanation about the differences between fixed bias and cathode bias.

Comment

Cool, thanks man.

Comment

Working...
                X