Hybrid amps, tube EQs - all hype?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybrid amps, tube EQs - all hype?

My live rig has always consisted of an analog distortion and digital delay into a single-channel Peavey Classic 212, which has a solid state preamp and 6L6 tube power amp. I really on my ART Xtreme for 100% of my distorted tone as well as some slight chorus. I put an ART Tube EQ (parametric) between the distortion and delay pedals, to further tweak the mids. The Tube EQ has a 12AX7 preamp tube in it, and separate input gain and output gain controls. I am pretty happy with my tone, and frequently get complimented on it by other guitarists we gig with. Because I like to have a backup for everything, I bought the rack version of the Xtreme and Tube EQ (DST-4 preamp and Tube Channel mic pre/compressor/tube EQ, respectively), and plan to use this as a recording rig. So far, so good.

I plan to try a couple of different amps for our next studio adventure, including a high-gain head of some kind, and of course the rack rig. What I don't have for the rack is a power amp. While I'd like to get a tube unit, preferably something inexpensive like a Peavey 50/50, I've noticed that there are "hybrid" power amps like the ADA Micro-Tube 200 (solid state with 12AX7 tubes?) and apparently some Marshall Valvestate versions. Up to now, I've always thought that tubes would contribute a little bit, as in the case of the ART Tube EQ, but is the tube "feature" just marketing hype? I appreciate the virtues of a cranked tube power amp such as my Peavey Classic's power section, but what about in these so-called hybrid power amps? I always thought that a hybrid was when you had a solid state preamp and power tube amp or vice versa, so what's the deal with a hybrid power amp?

[img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    sigpic

Re: Hybrid amps, tube EQs - all hype?

I don't know about the power amps in questions, but that ART EQ is running the tube so cold that I doubt it is adding anything to the sound. It's still a great little EQ, but I don't think the tube is anything other than hype.
    ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Working...
    X