Look what I just bought... Univalve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Look what I just bought... Univalve

So what type of power tube will give the heaviest metal-type of distortion? Of course, I'll use a 12AX7 preamp tube. I'm sure I'll need a boost, also, but what tube will give "close" to the most saturation for metal without a pedal (think Slayer, Overkill and some old-school trash gain structure)?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

EL34?

Comment

6L6GC

Comment

Fully gained out, a Univalve doesn't really do 'metal' well without a pedal imho. Rhythms are ok, but for leads it just won't saturate well. Plus the eq on it is pretty limited, so there won't be much scoopage going on.

Mine worked best for me playing blues/rock. I wouldn't use it for metal personally, but I've heard some good clips of guys that did it. Made me wonder what they used for mic placement or post processing though.

Crunchiest tube in the UV for metal would probably be an EL34 - or get a yellowjacket and run an EL84. EL84 should gain out a bit more, and at a lower volume. 6L6GC is just going to stay tight and won't add much drive to the tone.

I'll say it again though - for cool lead tones, the 6V6 is dang hard to beat.

Pete

Comment

The 6L6GC would be a good choice though if you were putting an overdrive or preamp in front of the amp.
            I mixed the Univalve up with the more expensive models.
            It looks like a cool amp to mess around with. Please post a review once you get it!!

Comment

Joe, I have had my Uni's for a while and really dig them. I have played heavier stuff like the bands you have mentioned using a 6L6GC and an EL34, with no problems. I always use an overdrive in front for solos and if I need that crazy RR Tribute sound.

The fundamental tone of these amps is awesome and they sound great clean, dirty or nasty. I had a KT88 in mine for about a week and got rid of it...the uncontrolable desire to eat vegemite was too much. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Actually, it was a great tone for AC/DC and some 70's rock.

I sold one of my Uni's recently when I bought the Cornford - I could have given you a killer deal if I had known you were looking. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
              Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Always heard cool clips of the Uni and the Bi... I got a great deal on a new Flexi when I was looking for a Bivalve but, all the Flexi's switches, buttons, & knobs called out to me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Enjoy it!
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I think the 6550 is going to give you the best metal tone, but even then you'll need a pedal to really slam it. Last night, I spent a few hours at rehearsal testing a Zinky True Grit. Definitely pushed it harder into metal territory, and helped with saturate the lead tone...Pete's very right about it needing help to push into metal on the leads.

Comment

Cool. Thanks, guys! I believe it comes stock with the EL34, so I'll run it through its paces with that, and maybe I'll check out the Yellowjacket with an EL84 since I do dig those in my Mesa. I don't really have much other experience with tubes. I can't wait to get it.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X