Look what I just bought... Univalve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look what I just bought... Univalve

Couldn't resist the price of this, and I've heard many great things about them! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Glad I've been working my ass off for the past couple weeks and am making more money lately.
    I bought my Mesa F-30 combo from this seller a couple years ago, too. Looks like the Mesa may be for sale now. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

http://cgi.ebay.com/THD-Univalve-Tube-Gu...1QQcmdZViewItem
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Look what I just bought... Univalve

Wow Joe, what are you going to do with it?
    I always thought the Univalve was a very interesting amp. I just couldn't figure out what I would do with one. That price is really good. I think they sell new for around $1300.00+.

Comment

I will be playing the crap out of it, that's what I'm gonna do with it! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I'm sure it'll need an OD to boost it into molten metal territory, though. It'll be cool for some low volume house playing and the occasional jam. I've been looking for a lower-wattage amp for awhile now.

Comment

I love my Uni. Give it one of those Tung-Sol reisuue 6550 output tubes and you'll really dig it. A guy at my local guitar shop loaned my a Zinky True Grit Overdrive. I'll let you know how it works, Toejam.

jgcable, you can usually get one new for around $700 if you're a good shopper.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I love my Uni. Give it one of those Tung-Sol reisuue 6550 output tubes and you'll really dig it. A guy at my local guitar shop loaned my a Zinky True Grit Overdrive. I'll let you know how it works, Toejam.

jgcable, you can usually get one new for around $700 if you're a good shopper.

[/ QUOTE ]
          Sounds cool!!
          MF has the Unis for $845 and $919. Not sure if the $845 is a blem or not, though. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...=tp?q=Univalve

The Bivalve goes for $1395, and the Flexi 50 for $1799.

Comment

What a rip off, it's only got one power tube!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Joe - those things rip. They get much louder than you think they will too. Fortunately you can dime it all the time though since it's got a built-in attenuator.

I always wanted to try one with a KT-88 [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Nice score Joe!
                  I was watching that one too.
                  Congrats!
                  [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks! I had put an opening bid on one a few days ago for $600, and yesterday someone outbid me by $10 and won! At least I got this one, and I guess I'll be buying a bunch of different power tubes to see what I like best. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Toejam, you should join the Univalve user's forum. All sorts of good info to be had there.

Comment

I've seen these before, but never played one. They seem really cool. What do they sound like, by themselves and with a good od unit?
                        Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

I really wish I was rich, cuz I would have a STAGGERING amp collection.
                          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

That is a good price. Congrats! I want to hear it. One day we have to get together Joe.

Comment

I enjoyed mine. Some of their stuff is stretching it (their 'hot plate' built into the univalve isn't at all like a real full sized one - but it works ok on the Univalve) and the 'auto biasing' circuit is just a cathode bias setup.

Still, very cool amp. I ran mine with a KT88, real GE6550, blackplate 6L6, variety of NOS and lightly used vintage 6V6s, 6K6s, and tons more.

My favorite power tube? 5881 TungSol or an RCA 6V6. Real creamy tones with those, but you'll need a boost pedal to smooth the gain out.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X