Balanced vs. unbalanced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balanced vs. unbalanced

I was going through my recently assembled rack rig to take stock of what cables I still needed to buy, and noticed that some components have separate balanced and unbalanced jacks. For example, my ART preamp has an unbalanced 1/4" line out but also has a cab simulator output that uses a balanced XLR. I definitely want to use the cab sim for direct recording, but it will be running to an EQ and a noise gate before hitting the board, and I don't think that these other devices have balanced inputs. They are definitely 1/4" inputs rather than XLR. What are the consequences (if any) of running from a balanced output to an unbalanced input?

Along the same lines, I intend to do some A/B testing, first running the rack direct via the cab simulator to a mixing board, and then (once I get a power amp) connecting it to a cab and miking it. Assuming that the above balanced/unbalanced connections aren't an issue, am I inviting disaster upon myself by running the EQ and noise gate *between* the preamp and power amp? Isn't this essentially the same as placing the same devices in the effects loop of a head or combo?

He'p me, I'm new to this rackmount foolishness!
    sigpic

Re: Balanced vs. unbalanced

1/4" Inputs can still be balanced.

A balanced cable will have positive, negative and ground wires, where an unbalanced cable will not have a negative. Balanced cables are used in pro situations to reduce hum.

A 1/4" cable is balanced (generally speaking) if it uses a TRS connector (tip (+), ring (-), sleve (grd)) You can use balanced cables in unbalanced jacks, and unblanced cables in balanced jacks. It's not the best way to do things, but you generally won't run into any issues.
    ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

OK, thanks. As much as I'd prefer to do things the best way, I'll settle for functional at this point.
      sigpic

Comment

My g force has a balanced input so I run a balanced cable from it to a mixer. To tell you the truth I have also run unbalanced cables to it and have never heard a difference. I just use a balanced for peace of mind.

Comment

Bumping this since I now have everything wired up and am just looking for some opinions. My ART DST-4 preamp has an effects loop, so I have placed my ART Tube Channel EQ and Rocktron Guitar Silencer in the loop. Then it's back to the preamp and out to a mixer or amp. So far, so good.

Would I possibly get better results if I put the EQ and Hush after the preamp in my signal path, rather than in the effects loop? My old Peavey amps don't have effects loops, and I'm usually running a pedalboard with everything headed straight into the instrument input, so this newfangled "loop" thing is blowin' my mind!
          sigpic

Comment

I always run the hush after the preamp. I dont use an eq but I would think that should also go after the preamp so you can just alter that tone.

Comment

Working...
            X