No announcement yet.

do any of you prefer 2x12 cabs to 4x12?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do any of you prefer 2x12 cabs to 4x12?

I was wondering how many of you, if any prefer to use a 2x12 cab as opposed to a 4x12. I personally like the 2x12 simply because after only a few years of hauling around a 4x12, I got real sick of it. The 2x12 I own has some really nice sounding Sheffields in it, and it was only $200 dollars. Not bad if you ask me, and it still gets plenty loud.

What do you think? [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Also, what are some good 2x12 speakers cabs?
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Re: do any of you prefer 2x12 cabs to 4x12?

LoL, I got sidetracked while looking at your PM, but I was searching for another cab for ya. There is a company mentioned all the time, I think it was Avatar but I'm not sure. I'm sure someone'll know, but I'll try n find it.

Edit: Yah, that was it http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

Looks like they have a 212 cab for 289 + shipping. Not a bad deal at all. Might have to go to EBaY for one round $200, but I'm sure someone might know of another place

Comment

I prefer the bass response and project of a 4x12, but like the portability of the 2x12.

Honestly, It's barely worth the sacrifice for me, and in a two guitar extreme metal band, I need all the projection I can get.

Comment

I've got an Avatar I like real well. It's the open back $289 one. I rear mounted the speakers, because I don't like the sound of front mounts, but other than that...I'm real happy with it.

But I do have a Marshall 4x12 with greenbacks waiting for me in Arizona...

Comment

Genz Benz 2x12 [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I have the following cab.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...3/IM000661.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...3/IM000662.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...3/IM000663.jpg

It has Sheffield 1230 speakers in it, and appears to be pretty old. It sounds amazing, however I have no idea what the heck kind of cab it is. Can anyone identify it? I would surely give my left nut for another cab like this. Plus it cost me a whopping $200 dollars.
            Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
            The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

I'm a 4x12 kinda guy. I always have been and always will be. I carted them around so much so know they are a pain but I still like them. Even if I had a gig in venue the size of a big phone booth I'd still bring a 4x12 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

I like 2x12s better, myself. A single 2x12 sounds a little more detailed to me than a single 4x12, but I like two 2x12s spaced out from eachother best.

Comment

I'm the 2x12 poster boy. Other than my "oddball" Peavey Classic 410, everything I play is 2x12. My various setups include:

Jackson Apogee 50 212 tube combo & Peavey 212M (Sheffield) cab
                  Peavey VT Classic 212 tube combo & Peavey 212SX cab
                  Peavey TransTube Special 212 combo & Peavey 212SX cab

Right now I'm looking for a power amp that can handle two 4 ohm cabs (the 212SXs) so that I can start using my rack rig. Using 2x12 combos and cabs is a lot easier for transporting and lifting, which is helpful for an aging metalhead like me!
                  sigpic

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I like 2x12s better, myself. A single 2x12 sounds a little more detailed to me than a single 4x12, but I like two 2x12s spaced out from eachother best.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

I'd rather work with a 2x12 than a 4x12. Maybe 2 2x12's, but other than that a full freakin stack is the way to go [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] My friend was runnin a triaxis with the 2 Randall Warhead cabs...freakin amazing tones

Comment

well, i like 2x12 cabs better than 4x12 cabs, but my absolute favorites are 1x12 cabs. my stage rig uses 2 1x12 cabs and a compact 4x12 cab. my 4x12 is a marshall valvestate (older one) that is loaded with EV speakers. the speakers make it weigh a lot, but the cab itself is smaller than a 1960. i also cut the back in half, i think it sounds better as a half back.
                      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

4 12s and nothing but!

I got five of them!!
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I like 412s, but the Carvin 212 slant cabs are pretty cool.
                          They're as deep as a 412 and sealed back, so they have similar depth, but are mopre portable so I wouldn't have a heart attack moving them. They fit well on your basic $20 Home Depot handtruck.
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I really like 2X12's as much as 4X12's. If I didn't end up with an unconvention 4X12 (Mesa Road King cab), I would have all 2X12's. The only thing the average 4X12 gives me over a 2X12 is muscle strain and a bit more coverage and volume for live use. I too adore my Avatar open back 2X12 and my 2 Mesa 3/4 2X12's.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I prefer 1 x 12 and 2 x 12 cabs although now I am in the market for a 4 x 12 fo my band in New Jersey. They want to run a full stack on both sides of the stage so I need another 4 x 12 to go along with my 5150 4 x 12 cab. I am going to sell or trade a few of my smaller cabs for another 4 x 12. The good thing is that I don't have to carry it in this band. I will keep 1 small 2 x 12 cab for my local band. They are easier to carry around and they sound great.

Comment

Working...
                              X