Effects placement for recording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effects placement for recording

Long ago, I read an article stating that when recording, the further along the signal path you placed time-based effects, the better. The idea was that, using the example of delay, applying delay to the signal right before the recording device would give the best sound, implying that if possible, this would be between the microphone and the board. The article didn't take into account the use of computer-based effects, so I'm sure that changes things, but does this seem right for the most part?

The reason I ask is because when I've recorded at studios and wanted to use a delay pedal, I expected the engineers to suggest changing my usual pedalboard setup. I run my delay pedal after my preamp pedal but before the amp input (single-channel amp w/o effects loop), which is what I do live. They never asked me to change that. The recorded results sound good, but could I expect better results changing the delay placement?
    sigpic

Re: Effects placement for recording

You really should record as dry as possible and add effects later. I have never been in a studio that recorded guitar tracks with effects. What you do is have the effects patched into your headphones while your recording but the guitar signal being recorded is dry. Then, you add your effects later. This way you have total control over the effects used.

Comment

do exactly like John just said, record your guitar dry. Effects must be added later, I'm sure every decent studio has a high quality effects processor with great delays, just record your guitar and add the delay to the mix thru the summing buss or whatever it is called.
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

the only time effects should be added DURING recording is if the said effect is crucial to the part. otherwise, it should be added at the mix. either through a channel insert or the effects bus on the mixer.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

All has become clear!
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X