another power amp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another power amp question

So I am wondering something about poweramps. What would be the difference if I went and bought a $100 dollar Crate power amp compared to a $1000 VHT poweramp if all I am looking to power is a simple modeler? Am I correct in saying that one of the differences lies in the volume, or how loud a poweramp can get?
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Re: another power amp question

I know notta about rack setups but I can attest to the fact that VHT is the goods. Not if, but when I buy a power amp....it will be a VHT. IMHO based upon amp HEADS....it seems as though Bogner has the preamp nailed and VHT has the power covered.

Comment

Buying a $1000.00 VHT power amp to power a modeler is a waste of money. I agree that a tube power amp with a modeler sounds better than SS but something like a Peavey 50/50 or 60/60 or a Carvin T100 is more than good enough.

Comment

I originally tried my XTL with a VHT 2.90.2. Dude...dosen't even compare to the powerblock. With the depth and presence knobs, it made my tone jump out there. That extra EQing, the sheer volume and the way the KT88's react just made it freakin awsome. It might be a little overkill on a unit like the XTL, but it did the freakin job nicely. Might be worth pickin up though, it's a great power amp to throw in any rack

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Am I correct in saying that one of the differences lies in the volume, or how loud a poweramp can get?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Guitar Poweramps color your sound just like a good guitar amp does, and they all have their unique sounds.
          They are not like a Hi Fi Poweramp, or a PA Poweramp.

Comment

ahh.. so what exactly is a hi fi poweramp then? Is it something like a high end VHT or Mesa poweramp? Would I then be correct in saying a regular old guitar poweramp would be something like a carvin dcm150? If so, what is the difference between a hi fi poweramp and a "regular" poweramp like a carvin dcm150?

Comment

A Hi Fi ( high fidelity) power amp is one that you use in your hone entertainment system ? Just clean volume with little to no coloration or overdrive. All the mixing and tonal control is from the preamp .
              I don't think guitar poweramps would suit these kind of uses .
              Hifi poweramps would be perfect for POD users where all the processing is achieved before the poweramp . A full range speaker would be needed though .

Mark
              Oh stick this in your fuse box ..... Bon Scott

Comment

Typically a SS preamp that is meant for PA applications would provide a very clean interpetation of your POD's sound while giving you alot more volume. Driving a guitar thru a SS power amp has arguably different dynamics as opposed to a tubed one.
                If we all thought tube power amps were the shit for everything, they would be used to power the mains in audio applications in tour acts. You'll likely get more warmth, richness and character from a good tube power amp but some guys really like SS clearity. Not like a MOSvalve, which is mosfet trying to be tube but a true ss power amp.

A 100 dollar ss power amp will get the job done. If you want tube, you can go a less expensive, lower end route with a Carvin or Peavey.

Comment

So according to what you guys are saying, something like a Crate Powerblock, which to my knowledge is ss, would simply drive the amp and not color the tone, while a poweramp that is tube based adds different tones to it depending on the pa?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

So according to what you guys are saying, something like a Crate Powerblock, which to my knowledge is ss, would simply drive the amp and not color the tone, while a poweramp that is tube based adds different tones to it depending on the pa?

[/ QUOTE ]

The ideal power amp for a modeler would be a tube driven power amp that is very transparent. The Carvin T100 is perfect for this application. I have one. I use one with a Boss GT-6 and it RIPS big. I have also used the Peavey 50/50 and 60/60 and they both worked great. For SS, I have used the Rocktron Velocity 100, and the Marshall 8080 (I think thats the model). They both sounded good but not as good as the Carvin T100.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Wow! I'm sorry...no. Not even close.

OK, forget "Hi-Fi" and "PA" poweramps...you haven't looked at one yet. PA and Hi Fi poweramps are clean, flat response, zero coloration, very efficient, and quite expensive. Made to accurately reproduce with zero tonal coloration. Most are SS, some audiophile amps are tube...McIntosh and the like.

Everything you are looking at are guitar amps...designed to give a sonic signature. Guitar amps are NOT flat response. Instead, most have a midrange "hump" that works with the target frequency range of the guitar. This is true wether it is a Crate Powerblock or a VHT 2150.

To get back to where we started, a VHT would be a royal waste of hardware to power a POD. Get the Crate thingy.

Comment

Working...
                      X