mesa rectifier recording preamp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mesa rectifier recording preamp?

do you guys have any experience with those units?
    how are they in comparison to the heads? of course the poweramp also has an impact on this question, but still..

furthermore, what do they do better, normal preamp action (put through a poweramp and a cab) or direct recording?

i've searched various forums, but there's not a whole lot of info. i wonder why?!

Re: mesa rectifier recording preamp?

Direct recording. They sound very good in the studio. I have never heard one in a live application.

Comment

They sound decent direct, but they crush live. I had one but ending up selling it because I already have a Triaxis, Mark IV and a Dual Recto Rackmount. If you buy the the Recto pre, try to get the stereo 2:100 to power it. It has an input made specifically for the Recto Pre which is suppose to make the two interact just like a recto head. I actually liked the sound of the Recto Pre and a Mesa poweramp better than a current Dual or Triple head. Now my Dual Recto Rackmount is a different story...
      Good deals with:
      Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

Check with MOSHWITZ aka Dave. He bought my old Mesa 2:100 to go with his Mesa Recto Pre.

Comment

thanks for the replies so far. and also thanks for the info, i'll shoot him a PM.
          the thing is, although i have just purchased a 5150 (and not too long ago i might add) i'm still GASing for a recto [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          well, as the recpre's tend to go for a lot less than the heads (DUH), i figured maybe i should get one and run it through either my 5150's or my marshall's power amp.

is this a good idea? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] or am i better off saving some more for a real recto....although i don't need 3 amps. hell i don't need 2. i just can't part with the good 'ole marshall, as it's a real classic, and atm i think the 5150 sounds great, too.
          please, convince me NOT to get another amp! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

That's exactly what I'm planning on doing; I love the shit out of my 5150, but I also love the shit out of Rect's.

Comment

Buuut.... The Single Recto heads go on eBay for as much as an XXX, so the preamp and the head is about the same price. I'll be opting for the head I believe.

Comment

Working...
              X