• Show
Clear All

• hey guys with 5150 combos

Do you even use the rhythm channel
    for a high gain or do you just use the lead channel all of
    the time?
    I'm loving the combo I scored off of Ebay last week and I'm
    wondering how you guys use this thing. The rhythm channel
    with the crunch engaged sounds great but is still just a little to low on the gain side for me. I'm thinking about
    just using that as a clean channel and using the lead channel all of the time.

I retubed it with JJ's low gain option set (82'sin V3 and V4) and it makes the lead channel much more usable and
    quiter than when I had the original stock chineese tubes in there. But I actually like the voicing of the rhythm
    channel better. Would putting a high gain JJ in one of the other V positions just boost the gain on the rhythm channel
    or are these gain Stages?
    someone help me out here please? I'm so close to nailing the tone I want out of this thing, it's pissing me off!
    BTw these things have got to be the loudest 2 X12 combos ever made. Holy shit what a monster. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    And I know everyone complains about how heavy these are, but my B-52 has 2 120 watt speakers in it
    and it weighs almost the same as the Peavey does. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

It going to really suck moving these 2 around,
    luckily they both have wheels installed on them.
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Re: hey guys with 5150 combos

I always use the rhythm channel, even for leads. I just boost it with an sd-1. Actually, my lead channel is my clean channel.

And if the rhythm channel doesn't have enough gain, somethings up. Mine has more than enough to nail death metal gain.

Comment

Well the lower gain tubes in V3 and V4 have bought the
      total gain of the amp down a bit. The lead gain at 10 is
      what it was at 6-7 with the chineese tubes. The rhythm
      channel gain is about 80-85% of what it was, that's why I'm
      asking these questions about V1,V2 being for the rhythm
      channel or are they gain stages.
      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

The rhythm channel has a tighter low end than the Lead channel under the same amount of gain, so it works a tad better for quadtracking.

Live, however, I used the lead channel because I love how apeshit it is. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
        X