High end amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High end amps?

OK guys - I have a couple of guitar irons in the fire that I need to take care of.. then it is amp time.
    I am having a tone crisis.. not that I can't get a good tone - I am just tired of MY tone.
    Here is what is going on - band was on haitus for a while, so I have been noodling at home. Time to get a band back together..
    Sold my Mk IIC+ - it was more of an investment and didn't really get appreciated.
    I still have a couple of ENGLS (straight 100) as well as Savage 120. Also - for ease of different tones, I have a Vetta (upgraded to 2 software).
    The main rig is Savage 120 with a G-Major as the effect, into either a Genz Benz 2x12 gflex, or into an ENGL slant 4x12 with celestion 30's, or a straight ENGL with 75 watt celestions (depending on my ear/mood). I also have an older ENGL 4x12 with celestions, a Marshall Slash straight 4x12, and an Ampeg slant 4x12 with celestions, so different tones are an option. I get good tones, but dunno if it just time for a change, or what.
    I tried a Custom Audio Amps OD 100 this weekend, and though it was good, I wasn't really blown away for the price.
    I guess what I am thinking is that the ENGL may be going. Without starting a huge "this is better than that" and getting the board all in a ruckus, I wanted opinions on the amps such as Uberschalls, Pitbulls, mods such as Camerons or Voodooo amps, or pre-amps such as CAE's or Fish, etc.
    I was brought up a Marshall guy - so I like that type of "response" when I play.. though I like more gain. I played Boogie for a while, but that is just not my tone.
    I am an 80's guy - hugely influenced by the usual suspects - Eddie, Randy, Jake, Lynch, Akira, Doug Aldrich, Viv, Warren, Criss O, Vicious Rumors - and currently do more of prog/power metal thing, though I may be doing instrumental stuff in the near future.... Any help/input would be greatly appreciated.

Re: High end amps?

I had a Pitbull UL with EQ which I traded my Powerball for. Honestly I thought the powerball was better but it really depends on style. I thought the Uber was better than both. Still it is a question of style. Being a Marshall guy I would say that the Uber or XTC may suit you best. The UL is a hell of an amp but it is in all honesty the perfect Mark IV. You need to play the UL loud real loud.
    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
    So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Soldano SLO100
      Soldano HR50+

My Soldano SP77 changed my guitar playing life and its only lightly based on the SLO circuit. Soldano could be your answer Wayne. I take by your post that you don't like much compression in your amp sound. I don't either. I like my notes to jump out. That is the problem with the 5150 when you turn it up. It compresses a little. Same thing with Rectifiers. Not Soldano's. The notes jump out everywhere. After 3 rehearsals with my SP77 I have had to turn down every rehearsal because my system stomps the crap out of the other guitar players block letter 5150.

Comment

I'd buy a marshall and send it to Trace at voodoo amps - he's GREAT with mods, and could tweak it to what you hear in your head.

Pete

Comment

I'd take the right Marshall over a HR50 any day. I had one of those - they sound fine but there's a reason that they're about 1/3 of an SLO - no comparison. I sold mine and got a Marshall 1987x which wasn't high gain but had a much better fundamental tone. I then drove it over to Splawn and had it modded - it kills now.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I had a HR50+ channel switcher that kicked ass, imho... here's a clip of mine (with one of my boost pedals hitting the front end, but it wasn't cranked that much either - the amp's tone shines through):

http://members.cox.net/vht50/soldanopedalsolo.mp3

stock amp, I'd say look at a soldano, or again, get a marshall modded by trace since he will custom tailor it for you. I don't know how much of that the other guys do.

Comment

Damn that makes me want to try one of the Hot Rods. It's a shame stuff like that is not in stores.

What power tubes do the HR's use?

Comment

Thanks for the input so far guys - keep it coming. Hell - my post should have just said "The tone, character & response" - because that is what I need. I actually don't care if it is a $2 amp....

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  The UL is a hell of an amp but it is in all honesty the perfect Mark IV. You need to play the UL loud real loud.

[/ QUOTE ]

i had a UL and a MK IV....I agree with this statement 100%...the UL is what the MK IV wants to be. The VHT stuff is top notch although for me (and I'm an 80's guy too), I preferred the VHT 50CL and I'm pretty sure it is because it is loaded with EL34's. I own an XTC and I generally love it but I know what you mean when you say you are getting tired of your sound although it's a good one...I think we all do. I have a Uberschall here to play with for probably a couple months but I haven't really had time to really dive in to that amp yet to make any kind of final assesment. Money is tight at the moment but when it improves there are two directions I'd like to go....I'd love to discuss what I want with either Mark Cameron or Voodoo in a single gain channel amp, let them tell me what to buy for modification...(I am SURE it will a Marshall of some sort), and go down that road. The other rig I'd like to put together is a Bogner Fish preamp into a VHT Power amp w/ EL34's. Of all the amps I've owned....the Bogners have the preamp like nobody else and the VHT's have a really clean power Section. I want the tone but it, as you said, must have the feel as well...for me the Bogners have the feel in spades, I've not played the Soldanos. When dealing with the high end stuff...I would strongly suggest buying used so to not lose your ass if it aint your cup of tea.

Comment

If you dig Marshall tone, try a Mesa Stiletto. Very un-Mesa like in its feel, much more like a hot rodded Marshall. You should be able to find one at a store to check out easily enough. They sound OK at lower volumes but really need to be opened up a bit to truly shine.

Comment

Fish is what I was originally thinking - it's what started all this trouble ! lol
                      And yep -used all the way - no new!
                      I may have to check out one of those stillettos as well
                      You gusy will be seeing some gear shortly in the classifieds [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Bogner Ecstasy 101B if you need cleans

VHT 50 CL/w EQ if you can live with no real clean channel. Great tone of 80's folks you mentioned. (btw thats my tone preference as well)
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

My friend recently got an amp that I think would fit the bill for you. Splawn Quick Rod... http://www.splawnguitars.com/amps_products.htm
                          Very good sounding amp. VHT's may not have the saturation that you're looking for/used to. I have a VHT GP3 and just got an Engl 570. I prefer the thicker tones of the E570. I think the new Delieverance is thicker/meatier sounding than most VHT's but, I'm not too into single channel heads. I also like the Bogner Ecstacy (not the classic though).
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            My friend recently got an amp that I think would fit the bill for you. Splawn Quick Rod... http://www.splawnguitars.com/amps_products.htm
                            Very good sounding amp. VHT's may not have the saturation that you're looking for/used to. I have a VHT GP3 and just got an Engl 570. I prefer the thicker tones of the E570. I think the new Delieverance is thicker/meatier sounding than most VHT's but, I'm not too into single channel heads. I also like the Bogner Ecstacy (not the classic though).

[/ QUOTE ]

What don't you like about the XTC Classic in comparison to a 101B?

Comment

If your thinking of a preamp like the Bogner Fish give the CAE 3+ a try. It's a better preamp IMO. Built in boost. All 3 channels are absolutely killer. And with the EQ boost it's like having 6 channels.
                              We must!
                              We must!
                              We must increase the bust!
                              The bigger the better!
                              The tighter the sweater!
                              The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Working...
                              X