High end amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: High end amps?

With all due respect I wouldn't base an opinion of VHT off the GP3 pre amp [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I liked the xtc classics that I heard.

The thing with the Ecstasy's are there are a lot of switches and settings that can really affect ones opinion of them. Each changes sorta forces another change somewhere else so you have to tweak it. I can't just flip gain, structures, excursions, pre-eq and plexi switches without having to tweak EQ's, volume and gain. Its fun to play around with though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      With all due respect I wouldn't base an opinion of VHT off the GP3 pre amp [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

+1,000,000
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

framus cobra
        bogner ubershall
        mesa stilletto
        splawn pro mod
        soldano slo
        engle powerball
        voodoo modded marshall
        tim caswell modded marshall
        mark cameron modded marshall (doug aldritch uses this with greenbacks)
        laney gh100 or gh100ti
        vht pittbull

your tone quest might be as simple as changing cabs. like trying greenbacks, or vin 30's, or the new g12h-70th aniversary speakers.

splawn has some nice marshall style cabs with mixed speakers that are getting great reviews.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I just mentioned that I have a GP3, I didn't base my statement on it. I just dropped off an Ultralead to SteveVHT (if you guys have heard of him--the guy with the INSANE amount of amps) last week and over the past 6 months, have played thru the Deliverance 120, 3 different Ultraleads, 100/CLX (my favorite VHT head), and a Pitbull 45 head. Other VHT's too that I don't know the name. I like them (otherwise I wouldn't have bought the GP3), I'm just not sure if they are what he described he's looking for in the 1st post.

Regarding the Bogner, there is something about the Classic voicing that I just don't dig. The XTC I wanted to take home with me... the XTC Classic, I was like $3,600 for this [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Oh yeah, I just got an Engl 570 Pre (the Special Edition head's preamp section) and am really digging it. So I'll throw the Engl Special Edition head in the pot as well as the E570. Maybe a Savage too but, I only have some experience with a Powerball (I'm the thinking the Savage is closer to the SE though).

Dreamland Rebel is also very right about the cab switching too... I played thru/heard a Splawn 4X12 loaded with an X pattern of Man 'o Wars and Governers. The mids and highs were awesome but, it had NO bass. It sounded better alongside a Marshall cab (this particular cab was the other way around [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] so they were perfect for each other)!
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Dreamland rebel - Is Caswell still doing mods?

Comment

i have no idea.
              i just thought i'd name some "high end" amps i've heard and liked
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Ah.. I actually tried to get a contact with him through a friend of mine who knows/works with George Lynch .. no luck though !

Comment

Does anybody know how to contact Mark Cameron?.....must.....control....gas..

Comment

looks like most everyone you were influenced by used marshalls so you might just want to stick with them. The closest non marshall amp that sounded like a marshall to me is the bogner XTC 101b, i can pretty much nail a jcm800 with a boost pedal in front on the red channel but still have more gain on tap for heavier applications.

Other then that i have owned alot of amps and alot of them came close to that sound, but when you put it up right next to a real marshall it comes no wheres close.

In my opinion get a hot rodded marshall or get a marshall JMP-1 with a power amp and you cant go wrong. For many years i was searching for pretty much the same tones you were and my search is over with my jcm800 2204 with a Boss SD-1 pedal or using the bogner XTC on red channel. Now to be fair the JCM800 has a little more bottem end, but i am thinking that is from the 6550 tubes that are in in compared to the EL34's in XTC.

Comment

"In my opinion get a hot rodded marshall or get a marshall JMP-1 with a power amp and you cant go wrong. For many years i was searching for pretty much the same tones you were and my search is over with my jcm800 2204 with a Boss SD-1 pedal or using the bogner XTC on red channel. Now to be fair the JCM800 has a little more bottem end, but i am thinking that is from the 6550 tubes that are in in compared to the EL34's in XTC. "

the jmp1 certainly is a great preamp. however, i think the jcm800 heads sound more organic and pure. of course, the jmp1 is much more versatile, and has more gain (no need for a pedal), but i still think there's something missing when A/B'ed with a good head....
                      i'd certainly not put it in the same league as a bogner

Comment

My Uberschall is by far the best amp I've ever heard or owned in my life..It makes me WANT to play.
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          "In my opinion get a hot rodded marshall or get a marshall JMP-1 with a power amp and you cant go wrong. For many years i was searching for pretty much the same tones you were and my search is over with my jcm800 2204 with a Boss SD-1 pedal or using the bogner XTC on red channel. Now to be fair the JCM800 has a little more bottem end, but i am thinking that is from the 6550 tubes that are in in compared to the EL34's in XTC. "

the jmp1 certainly is a great preamp. however, i think the jcm800 heads sound more organic and pure. of course, the jmp1 is much more versatile, and has more gain (no need for a pedal), but i still think there's something missing when A/B'ed with a good head....
                          i'd certainly not put it in the same league as a bogner

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking price wise, most people cant afford a XTC or a Uber. There are tricks to the JMP-1's, a BBE of course, but alot depends on the poweramp you are using too and also the settings. When i set mine, but bare with me i havent used it in awhile, but i believe it is OD1 i use, the one that is suppose to be more like a JMP, with the gain up on that it sounds alot better in my ears then the OD2.

Comment

well, one nice thing about the jmp1 is that it's fire and forget. i can't possibly recall my settings because i haven't touched them for AGES. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            basically, the only thing i can recall is that i have the gain set to 11 (out of 20, remember) on OD1 - this is for thrash metal. definitely a gain machine, considering that i crank the gain on my 2210...or set it to 8 with a clean boost in front.
                            the OD2 is too compressed for me...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              well, one nice thing about the jmp1 is that it's fire and forget. i can't possibly recall my settings because i haven't touched them for AGES. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              basically, the only thing i can recall is that i have the gain set to 11 (out of 20, remember) on OD1 - this is for thrash metal. definitely a gain machine, considering that i crank the gain on my 2210...or set it to 8 with a clean boost in front.
                              the OD2 is too compressed for me...

[/ QUOTE ]

What power amp are you using with yours? Right now i am using a mesa 20/20 but i am thinking of getting a carvin TS100 so i have more control over the bias. At one time i was running it into a mesa 50/50 and it sounded good, but i think it sounded best when i had the marshall 50/50 with 5881's in it. I am happy that the mesa 20/20 is not really that cold of a bias like the rest of there stuff, it does help it alot, i just dont have enough bottem end with the EL84's.

Comment

It isn`t for everyone, but the tightest, clearest, most aggressive amp in the world in my opinion is the VHT CLX 100 Head with/without EQ, you could buy a Parametric EQ for it. This amp will blow your hair back and raise the hair on your arms, but it is very tight and I meen, not even medium loose, so it is best for tight speed metal and the like. Jack.

Comment

Working...
                                X