Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: High end amps?

marshall el34 100:100

more power than you'll ever need, but HEAVY as f*ck....

i keep that rig @ the rehearsal space...boy is it nice. marshall 1960A/B fullstack, 100w poweramp per cab...good times [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    usually i crank the volume on the poweramp all the way up, adjust presence to taste, and then control the overall volume using the output control of the jmp1. the voicing on the poweramp is set to modern.

Comment

oh you are going for balls out metal....

Comment

Based on clips, sounds like the Splawn would fit your needs. I have a JMP-1 that is way cool, I run it through the power section of my Dual Rec.
        -Jon G

Comment

Zakk74 OWNS a Cobra/Powerball/Uber, and say his fave is the Uber.

I can believe that!!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Zakk74 OWNS a Cobra/Powerball/Uber, and say his fave is the Uber.

I can believe that!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill, just curious, have you ever played a SLO?

Comment

John ..Oh hell yeah..I owned two Soldanos..The HR 100 and a Korean made 60..I even owned the 12" Yamaha Soldano combo for a very short time..not a combo guy.

Couldn't afford the SLO at the time..But I LOVED it..very Scorpions sounding to my ears ..as soon as I plugged in, I started playing "Blackout"..well that's what it sounded like to me..

When the 5150 first came out ..it gave me the impression of a hybrid Marshall / SLO Soldano...but it had its own voice..as does both Marshall and Soldano..

There is mention of the JMP-1..and 9200 poweramps..

I had two 2210 ran in stereo..I loved the distortion quality / quantity of these amps because I never had to run a pedal in front...there was enough gain on tap not to..so these quickly became MY favorite Marsahll heads..I guess Chris Oliva liked them as well..his sound is what I always shot for..that and old VH. His best tone / playing in his short career was on Edge of Thorns IMO..a 2210..that Chris Caffery has now.

To me it was a dream come true when I first heard the 9200 (5881s) the JMP-1 and JFX-1..it reminded me of a finely tuned perfectly matched pair of 2210s in stereo ..in a nice , cool looking package..that was midi..very very similiar tone as the 2210s..and how I ran them..

I still love it to this day..for one it is consistant. Unlike any of my Marshall heads. I remember loving my tone one day..and not happy with it the next. So instead of investing my time playing...I was constantly tweaking until I had a sound that insipred me to play..sometimes that never happened..days , weeks or months would go by and I wouldn't be "happy" with my sound.

But with that Marshall rack set up its ALWAYS plug N' play..that's probably what I love about it. Besides it has a very great authentic "Marshall" tone..and the four 1960B cabs , with the 5881 power and ..and the 422 BBE..I gave the Marshall sound a much needed kick in the hiney at the bottom end..

I still love it..I use it with the Uber when I record. On tape the Marshall sounds more "alive" when soloing to my ears. That's what gave me that Dimebagish tone on my tune
              Scapegoat..you know it's cool when you can listen to your own crap and smile. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I also love the VHT stuff..I never heard a bad one.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

i also have to go with the uber, and then my powerball. i sold the cobra. it was a awsome amp but the uber was better. im thinking about a splawn promod or a vht cl/50. i used to own 2 rectos but i never really liked them. ive played the xtc and i liked it. and i thought the soldano slo with the depth mod was cool but i wont buy one. the only amp i liked as much as my uber was my zakk wylde jcm2203. that thing rocked but it was too damn loud. i liked the savage 120 and engl se also.

Comment

The VHT CL/50 will have way less gain than the CL 100 or preferably the CLX 100 3 channel, the one I reccomend. Jack.

Comment

Rivera Rivera Rivera!!
                    I love admins!

Comment

start with the slo 100. cause you'll probably end there and you might as well save yourself the trouble.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

has anyone here played a Deliverance? thicker/meatier sounding than most VHTs (but still VHT) sounds intriguing! how saturated are they? how do they do less than balls-out metal tone?

Comment

I can't speak for the D120 or D60's but my 50 CL is perfect [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I also would nod to whoever said the Splawn Quick Rod....I bought one of those and it kills...awesome modded hot-rodded Marshall tone!
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

I've played thru and head the D120. Sounds equally great on higher gain or lower gain. Way recommended!
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Working...
                            X