Currently, I have 4 cabinets:
    Randall 2 x 12 closed back slant cab with 75w Celestions
    Randall 2 x 12 open back slant cab with 300w Altec Lansings
    Mesa Boogie 1 x 12 3/4 back cab with 90w Black Shadow
    Peavey 5150 4 x 12 cab loaded with Sheffields

I am considering one of these 2 cabs:
    Mesa Boogie 4 x 12 1/2 back cab loaded with Celestions
    Marshall 1960A cab late model totally stock

My band is suggesting that I go with a Marshall 1960A to go with my 5150 cab to match the stack the other guitarist uses. So, what cab would you go with based on my rig? The Mesa or the Marshall?

Re: cabinet selection... help.

if it has to be a marshall cab I'd look for a JCM800 cab with the stock 75's.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

I'd definitely go Mesa. Marshall cabs just don't go full range to me. Lots of bass but, the rest is missing to me(unless it's an OLD cab with OLD speakers) IMO.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I am probably going to go with the 1/2 back Mesa mainly because it will fit in either of my cars if it has to. Thats important. Especially if I have to carry my own gear to gigs one of these days. Right now I am spoiled..
        Do any of you suggest I close off the open portion of the Mesa cab or would it be better to keep it open. Although I haven't tried it yet, I would think I would like the combination of open and closed in one cabinet. My Soldano rig is pretty bottom heavy using just the 5150 cab. I have the bass dialed down to around 3 and it still thumps bigtime.

Comment

verticle recto 2x12!!!!!!!
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            verticle recto 2x12!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is Reb that I have to have a full stack on my side. Currently I am running a 5150 half stack cab with either a Randall 2 x 12 or the Mesa 3/4 back on top of it. The band wants me to get another 4 x 12 to stack on top of my 5150 cab. Marshall 1960A would match perfectly because the other guitarist is using both a 5150 and a 1960A.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I'd definitely go Mesa. Marshall cabs just don't go full range to me. Lots of bass but, the rest is missing to me(unless it's an OLD cab with OLD speakers) IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the opposite for me. I have an 83 Marshall 1960a cab w/75's and is more on mids and upper highs than it is for bass.

The Recto cabs are nice but can be kinda dark with v30's. I almost bought a recto cab but liked the Bogner 4x12 better (also a slant)

I'm not familar with the PV cab and the shettfields but I do like the combination of one 4x12 with G12T75's and one 4x12 with V30.

all in all jc...get thet cab that YOU like, don't let your band dictate what cabs you roll with just because some other dicknose on the other side of the stage uses 5150/1960a [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

john i don't reccomend the boogie halfback for your situation.
                i don't think that cab will match well with marshall and 5150 cabs. (it will overpower them)

i'd go with the marshall 1960a or a marshall with greenbacks.

unless you are looking for a vin 30 cab. then i would recommend a "traditional" recto 4x12.

i'd get the marshall and trade the other guitarist your 5150 for his marshall. so you'll both have matching full stacks. his 5150 will sound better with dual 5150 cabs and you'll sound better with dual marshall cabs.

if you had a stock 1960 and one with greenbacks... that would sound and look killer.
                Widow - "We have songs"

Comment

I will certainly take that under advisement!

Comment

I also use a 5150 and 90's 1960a cabs. The Peavey has more bite which produces a louder, brighter high end. It also can take punishing lows since I've tightened down the back and sealed it. The Marshall is good for natural mids and overall a less piercing, crowd friendly guitar tone. I use the 5150 for myself and point the Marshall to the crowd.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the opposite for me. I have an 83 Marshall 1960a cab w/75's and is more on mids and upper highs than it is for bass.

The Recto cabs are nice but can be kinda dark with v30's. I almost bought a recto cab but liked the Bogner 4x12 better (also a slant)

I'm not familar with the PV cab and the shettfields but I do like the combination of one 4x12 with G12T75's and one 4x12 with V30.

all in all jc...get thet cab that YOU like, don't let your band dictate what cabs you roll with just because some other dicknose on the other side of the stage uses 5150/1960a [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I second the motion, Mesa hand picks the V30's and has them manafactured a little darker sounding then most. I took my marshall JCM800 cab with Regular V30's and put it next to my mesa traditional and the mesa was way more darker sounding, almost sounded like a different type of speaker. I like the Marshall branded V30's alot better as i like them to have some bite. By the way i have heard other V30's cab and they do sound alot brighter then the mesa cab's.

When i am in the mood for my dark sounding cab and i am testing heads i will make sure to pick out a mesa traditional head so this way i know what i am getting into.

Comment

Last week I auditioned a Zinky Superfly amp thru a 1960AV (V30's) and it was SO dark it's not even funny (almost made the amp unusesable to me). Sounded better with a regular G75T loaded cab [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] There is something about Marshall cabs that I just don't dig except for one that a friend has but, Hell will have to freeze over before he'll part with it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

the reason the newer marshall cabs don't sound as good is because they use a particleboard back instead of solid plywood.

splawn will redo the back for $75 with a solid birch back.
                          makes a huge difference.

your friend probably has and older on with a solid ply back.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

Comment

Working...
                          X