Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: i know i have issues....need more amp advice

[ QUOTE ]
    i know your stuff, mike (and i like it very much btw).
    well.....compared to AIA, i'd say your tone has more low mids, in general is a tad less bright, and the highs are SLIGHTLY fuzzier than AIA. i'd also say your tone isn't as tight.

i do not want to bash your sound here, really. i think it sounds good, but i don't think you've got AIA NAILED. close, yes, but not nailed [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

actually, when listening to AIA, i'd much rather put it into the modded marshall (+OD) ballpark.
    iirc, schaffer used his old custom larry head, with a BBE in the loop, through a 1960A/B setup.
    the lead dude (can't remember his name) apparently used a SLO for AIA?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you listen to it without the bass, it's damn near identical, although it's probably a bit closer to "Something Wicked", which is more distorted. (The tightness issues are in the playing. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) I thought Tarnowski (sp?) used Schaffer's other Larry for AIA? (Of course, since I'm guessing most of it was actually recorded at Morrissound, who knows?) I know he was using it when we played with them on that tour, but maybe he had the SLO by AIA?

I think you could get something you like with the Recto, but, to be honest, you alreay own the best bang-for-the-buck metal amp out there with the 5150. I'd spend some SERIOUS time tweaking it before moving on...
    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I would by SLO if I would play in a 80s metal band. But I'm playing modern music. Recto suits well for that.

Fragile, I guess recto isn't the best for modern thrash palm muting but It rocks when playing dissonant chords and whatnot. And yeah, I like the wall of sounds [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Yea, that just shows how tone is so subjective. To me... the tone that Fragle and Michael use is a rhythm guitar players tone. I am a lead guitar player. I like my notes jumping out from every angle.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what my OTHER distorted channel is for. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I know what you're saying, though - it's why I used rack gear before the the three-channel amps with seperate EQ really started appearing, because I use three distinct tones.

Comment

Michael was talking about Mudvayne. Thats as nu-metal sounding as it gets. To me, that guitar tone is HEAVY and chunky but very fuzzy and non-defined. They have a similar guitar tone to Disturbed. I love both bands. If you notice with Disturbed, the latest song on the radio Awaken with the guitar solo in it, the lead guitar tone is completely different from the rhythm tone. I prefer my rhythm and lead tone to be more similar. Sort of the way George Lynch sounds.

Comment

mike, you were on tour with IE? [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
            so, do you have any more detailed info regarding schaffers gear you might want to share? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
            and yes...i'm damn sure they re-recorded most of it. there are some mistakes in tarnowskiwhatever's playing that sound "live", but i cannot think of one single band that plays SO tight. besides, most live stuff is re-recorded, anyways. the only real live album i can think of is death-live in LA.
            john...i don't listen to mudvayne or disturbed [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

edit: ah, and mike? something wicked has one of the most awesome guitar tones EVER. it's SOOOOO thick, yet amazingly clear. you can definitely hear every single pick stroke on songs like disciples of the lie. sounds totally different from AIA, though. to me, the something wicked tone sounds like schaffer used a quite low-gain tone, but recorded TONS of rhythm tracks to achieve the desired amount of thickness

Comment

Nu metal or whatever, I personally dig those heavy chunky tones. I don't like europe metal tones, only those US high budget artist tones. My taste is just like that, I dunno why [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] And I'm a lead player too, I shred a lot when I play live but most of the music is still rhythm so that's more important to me.
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                mike, you were on tour with IE? [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                so, do you have any more detailed info regarding schaffers gear you might want to share? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                and yes...i'm damn sure they re-recorded most of it. there are some mistakes in tarnowskiwhatever's playing that sound "live", but i cannot think of one single band that plays SO tight. besides, most live stuff is re-recorded, anyways. the only real live album i can think of is death-live in LA.
                john...i don't listen to mudvayne or disturbed [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, we just played with 'em twice on the "Something Wicked" tour. I wish we'd been on tour with them. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I talked to Jon a bit, but not about gear.

JG, *I* wasn't discussing Mudvayne. I like them, but I wouldn't want that tone - what I'm after is more in the Nevermore (Dead-Heart-era) tonal range, with tightness when playing fast but nice "bloom" when you hit a chord, and without the low B being murky.

Comment

Most of the guys here don't want Mudvayne's tone, it's too loose for fast palm muting, a lot of guys here are after Nevermore's tone. Mudvayne's looser tone is good for me because Dimebagish riffs are the fastest rhythm parts I use, I don't dig super fast palm muting. I abandoned that when I was 17.
                  My rhythm style is Nuno Bettencourt meets John Sykes meets Dimebag meets Van Halen meets crazy prog shit [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    edit: ah, and mike? something wicked has one of the most awesome guitar tones EVER. it's SOOOOO thick, yet amazingly clear. you can definitely hear every single pick stroke on songs like disciples of the lie. sounds totally different from AIA, though. to me, the something wicked tone sounds like schaffer used a quite low-gain tone, but recorded TONS of rhythm tracks to achieve the desired amount of thickness

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you might be right, although the base tones are VERY similar to my ears, there's just four of them which makes it very thick and crunchy. I love the rhythm tone on that disc, too.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

besides, most live stuff is re-recorded, anyways. the only real live album i can think of is death-live in LA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm about 99% sure that Cannibal Corpse's Live Cannibalism is all live. After all, it says so at the end of the DVD. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                      http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Fragle, the VHT CLX 100 is very much a loud-tight and clear amp with alot of roar, but not sizzle. Every note is clear and in your face, but don`t mess up, or everyone will hear it!! Someday, I will have one again. Also, it doesn`t get loose or flabby and will excell on speed metal like old Megadeth and Slayer. Very aggressive amp, totally different than a Rectifier. All of the knobs on the VHT works very well and a wide range and the loops on these are the best.I wouldn`t call it a mid scooped amp, even with the mods tuned all of the way down, it isn`t scooped, or if it is, it doesn`t really sizzle, just the highs and lows roaring. There aren`t many amps that I know of cranked that is as loud as a VHT Pittbull CLX 100, they are just brutal loud-tight and clear. Jack.

Comment

I don't think that the BBE in the loop of the 5150 will help you obtain the sound you're looking for Fragle. To me, it seems like the BBE tightens up the 5150 a lot, but also brings out the high end a lot more in a way that isn't exactly as pleasing. An EQ in the loop or possibly a cab change might help you get more of what you're looking for.

If you're looking for tightness the VHT amps are amongst the tightest I've heard. But the overall distortion character is a bit different than the 5150, it doesn't seem as over the top and it seems a lot more dry. The Avenger I have is also quite tight and aggressive, plenty of growl. I honestly don't see the above working for your style of music.

Framus Cobra might be a bit more in tune with what you're looking for, but the bottom end isn't that tight

Uberschall perhaps? Jon's using those now and after seeing a couple bands use those live I've been quite impressed.

A properly dialed in Recto could pull off what you're looking for, but at the same time, some of the characteristics that you listed don't seem in line with the Recto.

Comment

thanks a bunch, folks, you all are really helpful.

well, boutique stuff like the uber, diezel, vht, or a SLO is a bit out of my league. i can't quite justify spending this much on an amp anyways....basically, the choices are limited to lower-end soldanos, mesa, framus, marshall, engl, peavey, carvin (although they are very rare).

well...the way slayer described the VHT sounds exciting, though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

basically, i think i'll head over to ebay to score a few different OD pedals and EQs. maybe there's an OD pedal that also cleans up the bottom end similar to a Tubescreamer, but doesn't add as much biting and chainsaw top end. any suggestions?

btw, cab changes are wasted money. in the rehearsal space we have 2 marshall fullstacks (75w celestions) which i can't sell because i don't own them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] , and when playing gigs we don't bring our own cabs.

Comment

I'd try an AnalogMan modded Tubescreamer or SD-1.

Comment

FWIW - AIA was reamped after the fact, so whatever amp(s) they were using live are not necessarily the amps that made it to the final recording...
                                ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Working...
                                X